Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 3 months ago

Accused of stealing/giving away drinks??

I recently started a new job, bar tending during the day. I am usually alone except for the prep cooks in the back. I really liked the new job until today. Before work my boss tells me he needs to talk with me. He tells me he wants to hear my side of an issue that was brought to his attention from the week before.

He tells me a local customer saw me giving away free drinks to a group of overly intoxicated individuals and one of them was my boyfriend.

1st, I wasn't giving anything away, 2nd, I don't have a boyfriend, I did not know the individuals at all, 3rd and most importantly I am married. We trust each other, but still, we live in a small town. My husband was furious after I told him about the accusation. He wanted me to walk off the job. But I didn't and carried on through the day.

As the day went on and the more I thought about it the angrier I got. Although the owners say they trust me, do they really?

I don't know if I'm overthinking the situation? I was told they believe me and have my back, but I kind of feel like I was accused when they brought it up. It had been an entire week before I was talked to. I also found out later, from my other boss the customer actually told another employee, who then told them.

Sorry this is so long, I just want to know if I am overreacting, overthinking or if this is how any business would act in the same situation. Or should they have handled the situation another way? The whole thing took the wind out if my sails.

Some people are just troublemakers. Your boss had a duty to follow up with the accusation. Try and note trouble-making customers in the future. If you come across one, make a note of it and, if necessary, call security, or your manager.

• Ali3 months agoReport

Thanks yea the I know who it was just because there were only a handful of people there at the time. The guys is a busy body and does have a weird connection with the owners daughter. I think I may give my two weeks to avoid future drama.

• `

You're over thinking and overreacting. Your employer didn't mention this to you for one week. That says to me that they didn't put much stock in the accusation. Also, second hand rumors can be unreliable.

"Or should they have handled the situation another way?"

No, they handled it fine. You're new so they don't know anything about you, they received information which if true would mean their business was at risk, since you're new they could have just fired you without even asking a question but instead they took you aside and asked you for your version and then they accepted it.

They sound like a good, fair employer. I would have been checking the stock against the tills and my decision would have been reached before I spoke to you.

• Ali3 months agoReport

It's a new establishment so we're all new. But I agree w/ you that they can let me go under "not a good fit". But they can't fire me for stealing w/out absolute proof. I'm more concerned w/ the guy accusing me he has a weird, dramatic connection w/ the owners, that's too long to explain. Thank you☺

Whatever you do don't walk out, you will look guilty if you do.

Work is work, they have no evidence and I'd let this one drop. If it happens again, well that would be another matter.

Alternatively if you don't want to be there anymore resign, work your notice and tell them in no uncertain terms that you aren't a thief and that you are not prepared to work for an employer that assumes that you are.

• Ali3 months agoReport

I agree I would have looked guilty. I did not do anything wrong. I may give two weeks and save me the headache of future occurrences. The guy has a weird connection through one of the owners daughter.

It’s easy to tell if you’ve been giving away drinks. All they have to do is look at the inventory vs how much you made. If a bottle can fill 100 glasses at $5 a glass then you should have made $500 when it’s time to order another bottle. If you’re only bringing in $100 then you’re over-pouring or giving away drinks. Over-pouring is the same as stealing.

Another thing they can do is weight each bottle at the beginning and end of the shift. Let’s say 1 ounce of rum is used to make a $5 yahoo blows. At the end of your shift, it says 500 ounces are gone so you should have made $2500. If you only made $2000 then you gave away drinks or you over poured.

• Ali3 months agoReport

Thanks for your input. The guys in question had different methods of payment, one had a tab, and he had an expensive drink, the other had a cheap beer. So that is why the busy body customer assumed I was giving free drinks. I figured they can figure out if I'm stealing or not before talking to me.