Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsCell Phones & Plans · 5 months ago

Is it correct to give a 12 year old a prepaid cell phone?

My girlfriend asked me if I would get her 12 year old daughter a phone so I got her a simple prepaid flip open phone, I think the phone was $19 and I put it on a $30 monthly plan with unlimited talk and text. The cost will be $25 if I put it on autopay. She has a 10" Kindle tablet she can use with WiFi. This is her 1st phone so I wanted to see how she handled it before spending the money on a better phone. The primary concern is safety and she can use the phone to call if she needs a ride or so we know she's okay if she's going to be late. She really doesn't like the phone because it's difficult to text on plus kids need something that makes them look cool.

The problem we have is she went online and because she had the phone all she had to do was enter the phone number then get a text sent to the phone so she was able to get into the online account and change the password. She then changed the name and address so it appears she is in Warren, NJ. I don't know if it really matters if the address is correct or not, but it's irritating when she wants money put on the phone and my password has been changed.

I'm not sure if I was correct in giving her the prepaid or not.

I just caught her making prank calls using Google Voice on her tablet. She would dial on her tablet, it would ring her phone then connect her to the person she was calling and her Google Voice number would come up on their caller ID. She seemed to think it would be impossible to trace the number through Google Voice.

Favorite Answer

Cheap and durable. Appropriate for a pre-teen. But if she repeatedly 'hacks' even after a good talking-to she's not ready. Remind her she's very lucky to have any phone at all, and those other gadgets are on the chopping block too.

Tell your girlfriend to tell her daughter she needs to prove she's mature enough to have a phone. Otherwise, you might as well take it back and wait until she's older.

12 year old is adequate for a cellphone

stop lying. Her mother should buy her phone and make those decisions for her, not a boyfriend or strangers.

You sat down with the child and explain that you purchased the phone for emergency purposes and that she is not to make the changes to the phone account. If she wishes to keep the telephone. You tell her plane that if changes get made to the account again where it's difficult to pay the bill did the bill won't get paid and she can just toss the cell phone in the garbage. tell her if she's proved to be too young for a cell phone that we'll try again when you're 16 years old.

• audrey

I think you are very smart.

Other than placing on her the stigma of a flip phone vs a smart phone, you did OK.

She, on the other hand, appears to be a hellion and should not have a phone at all.

All the other kids will make fun of her for not having a smart phone.

• Lafawnduh

Ever heard of Parental Controls? What 12 year old doesn't use internet nowadays? You're out-of-touch with the times we live in.