Will my credit be affected if I break my apartment lease, but pay the remaining balance?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

No..............m...

• 6 months ago

If you pay the full amount you owe, you haven't broken anything. In fact, the landlord can't rent the place out for the time you have paid for, even though you aren't living there. If they move someone in for part of the time the place is yours, they must refund the prorated amount.

I say this on the assumption you understand landlord-tenant law. If you fail to give proper notice and pay until the end of that month and no more, than you HAVE broken the lease. For example, you live in a state with a 30 day notice. You move out today and have paid until the end of August. You owe for all of September, so you have to pay that, too. If you told the landlord today and gave them back the keys today, maybe they could have someone in by September 1st, and then you wouldn't owe September rent.

Your credit will only be affected if you are sued for unpaid rent and lose and a judgment is entered against you.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

No, you'll be fine.. By paying what is owed per the lease, you are following the terms of the lease. What is to report you for?

• 6 months ago

No. As long as you do what is required to break your lease & pay the fees it's not considered a bad thing & doesn't even go on credit.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

Depends.

I've broken leases before. When you break your lease, if your landlord is paid, they are generally OK with it. The question is whether you and your landlord end on good or bad terms. Talk to your landlord. Most are only concerned about the unit being vacant. If it's vacant too long, they lose money. They don't want that.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

no.................................................

• R P
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

No, your credit will not be affected since you are fulfilling the payment terms of your lease.

Source(s): FL landlord
  • Andy C
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

No. Be sure to tell your landlord ahead of time.

• 6 months ago

As long as it's with the agreement of your landlord, there shouldn't be an issue.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

I know you can break your lease if you want and pay the remaining balance. That's not considered a breach of the lease! That's considered an early termination where are your paying the remaining balance and releasing the property.that's the proper way to terminate a lease early

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.