Why is it that so many people under the age of 25 cannot write anything correctly?

I ve had plenty of young employees over the past year and one thing I noticed is that most of them simply don t know how to write. I review their formal reports and they all have the same problems. From common words drastically misspelled, little or no punctuation, and many of them are 2-3 page long run on sentences. If they re reporting an event they start in the middle of the story and the whole description of the event is out of order. I can t even make sense of some of these. I have the employees rewrite them so that they are coherent and they literally just rewrite it word for word again. And it s not education, some of them have full college education and some have GEDs. Anyone have any input about this?

Favorite Answer

The root of this problem is a general lowering of standards in - probably - every area of human behaviour.

There are several reasons why young people cannot write correctly.

1. They spend too much time with computers, mobile phones, tablets, and the like. They are more used to using a keyboard than a pen.

2. Their school teachers either (a) are themselves unable to write correctly, or (b) are not allowed enough time to teach the subject. I have heard of teachers who cannot spell (and are therefore unable to teach their students how to spell), and of teachers who tell their students "you don't need to know how to spell. Your spellchecker will do it for you."

3. Students deliberately cause disruption in class. They chatter, they fiddle with their mobile phones, they throw things around. They spend more time playing about than they do in learning.

4. Young people fail to learn the basics of how to conduct themselves in society. They do not know how to begin and to carry on a conversation. They do not know how to ask a favour. They do not know how to ask for something in a shop. My next-door neighbours had a teenage son. His friends would come to the house, to see if he would go out with them. The friends would not knock at the front door, in case a parent appeared, and they had to ask if the son would go out with them. Instead of knocking at the door, they stood outside and texted him. They did not know how to formulate a simple request.

This problem is self-perpetuating. Students do not learn, because teachers cannot teach. The teachers have never learnt how to write correctly, therefore they cannot show their students how to do it. If some of their students wish to become teachers, they will, no doubt, enter college via examinations whose pass marks have been lowered to make entry easy for them. And so, those students will go on to spread the doctrine of poor writing, poor grammar and poor sentence construction. Once the rot has started, it will spread.

• RE

The problems may arise more from texting than from poor education. Some students prefer to depend on unreliable spellchecking instead of spelling memorization. The non-chronological description of events may follow the familiar flashback format of films or novels. Are you a little too judgmental?

nope nope nope nope

The only reason I can write correctly was because my parents made sure of it.

Because they have not learned grammar or composition and they don't read so they have limited vocabulary. But it isn't because it is not offered in the high schools. It is. It is difficult to fail students today for not producing acceptable work. If a student fails a class twice they are passed on in many schools. Not entirely the fault of the schools. Public pressure is extreme.

Written English and spoken English used to be quite different. Today if I use formal English people think I'm angry with them. When we communicate on computers we are actually speaking, not writing so our communications are now quite informal.

It isnt just today's kids though. In the late 60's I interviewed job candidates from Ivy League schools that couldn't put together an understandable paragraph. Several said they didn't think it was important because they assumed that the job for which they were applying would have a secretary who would correct their writings.

I assume they hired professionals to write college essay, papers and resumes. I offered that If they enrolled in a composition course at a local college aand passed with a B they would be considered again for a position. Some did followup on that, some did not.

One of my major pet peeves, is when people text or email me, that has no periods, commas or spaces in it.

• RICHARD

I try to be lenient on the quality of SMS messages. Many consider texting a casual form of communication, so there is little regard for spelling, punctuation or grammar. If the reader “gets” the message, it is good enough.

• DEBS

This is a joke, right? Your run-on sentences (MULTIPLE), lack of apostrophes, sentence fragments, and who knows what else I'm not going to spend the time looking for made painful to read at best.

• DEBS

But your topic IS about writing, and you failed at it as well. Maybe yours is better than the people you are describing, but that doesn't mean it's acceptable. For as much as you complain about others, your standard are pretty low if you're okay with what you wrote. That's the point.

Possibly the Internet and social media have a role.