Jamie
Lv 7
Jamie asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 6 months ago

Is it really a definite 'no no ' to wash mushrooms ?

30 Answers

Relevance
  • oikoσ
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Mushrooms are like sponges and absorb too much water when you wash them. Just wipe them with a damp cloth.

• 6 months ago

Only if you are going to be able to eat that many of what you wash. Or if you are serving 15 people wash as much as is needed. Right before sauteeing or however you cook your mushrooms.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

You can rinse them just before cooking. If I have some that seem slimy I will definitely wash the slime off and then use them only with long cooking.

• 6 months ago

Not really. Dry them off afterwards on a towel and make sure the oil for cooking them is really hot. The objection with washing is that they stew instead of frying. If there's no water around, that won't happen.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

My cooking hero and teacher/chef says mushrooms are grown in manure and he doesn’t want to eat manure so definately wash the mushrooms.

The problem with washing mushrooms is they absorb water quickly which must then be dealt with in the cooking process.

I will always choose CLEAN mushrooms, then typically wipe them with a damp paper towel. You don’t want to soak your mushrooms or run them under water for long periods. A quick rinse and then dry them (avoid running water onto the gills) can work too. If the mushrooms look like they have dirt or manure on them, I just don’t buy them.

• 6 months ago

No, Jamie. I you want the bugs out, you at least soak them in a brine. Some folk go with the no-washing belief, but they eat bugs anyway.

• 6 months ago

No no it's not not .

• Mark
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Yes. They get wasterlogged. If they're going into a soup or stew this is fine, but if you're just sauteeing them, you'll end up STEAMING them instead. Just wipe thenm with a damp cloth and if necessary, cut off the end of the stem if it's hard and dirty.

• ckngbbbls
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Thats not true at and has been debunked several times.

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You can use a mushroom brush when you are ready to use them.

• Jamie
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Got one . It seems to spread the dirt over them and not good for Chestnut mushrooms .

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

I wash them before I use them.

If I'm eating them raw such as in a salad, I dry them with a tea towel before slicing them.

I do not wash them and then put them back in the fridge. I keep them dry until I am ready to use them.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.