Need help making something to transfer water for my wifes grandma in Panama so she doesn't have to carry buckets?

My wife's grandma (and great grandma) live in Panama in an area that only gets running water a couple hours in the early morning. At this time they fill a 55 gallon barrel with water to use for the rest of the day (doing dishes, filling and flushing toilets manually, showers, etc) The problem comes in when her great grandma and grandma who are 90 and 64 years old have to carry 5 gallon buckets of water from room to room. Sooo... id like to build some sort of pump (electric if possible) that they could put in the barrel and then some sort of pvc piping from there to the bathroom at least to fill the shower bucket. The problem is I am in Panama now and speak limited spanish and my wife doesn't know anything about plumbing, electricity, etc. so I dont know where to go to buy any of this stuff. I need technical help as to what pump to buy. I can figure out the pvc routing. The water will need to travel approximately 8 feet up and 20 feet or so horizontally to the bathroom. Thank you!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

This isn't rocket science. A length of hosepipe and a pondpump or a drill powered pump will do it.

• james
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Some pond pumps will work. Like on fish ponds. & are 220 volt. I assume she has that. They are used here in the Philippines. Same problem. Or some villages have such little water the houses let it dribble into a 55 gal drum all day to keep it full. Here ACE Hardware sells a good one for this as a pond pump. For fish ponds. It is used for just what you are asking for. You might be able to buy one online but have shipped to here there. Or do they have Ace Hardware there. Same company as in the U.S. It will hook up to standard 1/2 inch water hose. Just like you have in the yard.

• ...Show all comments
    • Levi6 months agoReport

it so it doesn't get hurt by the rain. The boxes are so plain. no directions, diagrams, or hardly any info on it. basically just the name. im going to go again and see if someone there speaks english. thank you for the help!

• Edwena
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

The 8 foot of head (height) probably puts you in a more expensive pump category. You might want to raise the water in multiple lifts (into a bucket half way up). You do not need high volume. Look at aquarium/fountain pumps that can lift the water. And vinyl tubing for the pipe, sized to match the pump. You also have an electrical compatibly problem to furnish an electric motor that matches to Panama electricity. Now, this problem is common in Panama and some store sells the solution. Make some phone calls to hardware stores in Panama. Look up Little Giant Pumps on the internet and you will find lots of pumps. But you have to be sure that the pump will do what you want (like pump more than 8 feet of head), voltage, etc.

• 6 months ago

i think the store is called the fereteria -- hardware. they'll have a clerk who speaks some English and can help you

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • hamnod
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

get your 90 year old granny to put the 55 gallon drum full of water up in the loft then drill a hole in the bottom and run a pipe down to the bath, put a tap on the end to control water flow. If that don't work to good then you need to move from the third world shittip you live in

• ...Show all comments
    • hamnod
      Lv 4
      6 months agoReport

maybe you have no pump motor so you must use hand pump with handle, now one granny will peddle to make electricity and other granny will pump handle to get water up into header tank. This will be a good project for you yes?

• 6 months ago

When the water is running, why not fill a barrel or two set up high in the eaves or attic? No need for a pump, because the water pressure should be enough to put the water up there, when it is running.

Then gravity will allow you to move it about the house when the water isn't running.

Then you can just use a hose or pvc piping from this barrel to wherever you need it.

Basically, rather than moving the water after it is in the barrel, just move the barrel before it is filled.

• ...Show all comments
    • Levi6 months agoReport

her house is also a one story house so no attic or anything of the sort. its cylinder blocks with a tin roof screwed to it

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.