Jenn asked in PetsDogs · 6 months ago

Am I being irrational about my husband s dogs?

I met my husband 5 years ago. He had 2 pitt bulls that he was absolutely in love with. As our relationship progressed, I wanted to move out of my parents home and build one with him. Since he had pitt bulls we were unable to rent anywhere due to breed restrictions. He refused to give up the dogs, therefore we haulted moving in until i found a place without breed restrictions. While.he lived on his own in a crappy basement one of the dogs chased a child and pounced on them. I am unclear if the dog bit the child or not, however despite this incident my husband still refused to rehome or give up the dog.

I am currently 29 weeks pregnant. I am not comfortable with the dog being around my baby considering what happened with the other child a few years ago. My husband is insisting he can train her to be friendly around our baby. Is it wrong of me to want him to rehome her? Is it me or does he always choose the dogs despite other obligations?

I would need more info about the incident. Why did the dog jump on the child? Was it aggressive or playful provoked or random? My mom has the nicest dog in the world, but he will still nip and growl at you if you hug him around the neck. All dogs have triggers, is this a common thing for the dog to do?

• Star_of_Darkness

Doesn't matter why. the pitt bull is a dangerous dog to have around kids. They need ot be gotten rid of

• Stasia

i would dump him if the dog is going to be more important than the baby

This should have been sorted before you became pregnant so neither of you is being responsible. The fact is the dog has history and no matter how much training your husband does is going to change the dogs propensity towards attacking a small child. You move out or he rehomes his dogs; end of.

You are being irrational if you stay with him. You both already demonstrated that you aren't ready to be parents.

Why did the dog go after the child? Did the child tease the dog or do something the dog didn’t like?

• Star_of_Darkness

Doesn't matter why. Pitt bulls should never be in the same home as kids. The dogs need to be put down before they KILL the child

So why did you get knocked up by him.. Knowing that he has a dog that may potentially be a hazard?

And you married him.. Despite never getting the full story about the dog? So you are living with a dog that you have NO clue as to whether or not it has a bite history?

This is something that should have been resolved BEFORE you commited to marriage and moving in.. Much less having a baby together. You have a matter of weeks before the baby is here.. The dog is NOT going to be trained by then... IF the dog can be retrained at all.. Sounds like from your story that the dog is AT LEAST 5 years old.

And realistically... He isnt going to find a home for a 5+ yr old pit bull with a potential bite history.

• Yeah, they were hilarious. Every time we found a cricket in the house we'd catch it, put it in their cage, and watch the show. I was the carrot lady. Every time they saw me they got super excited because I always brought them carrots or other veggies.

And you married and got impregnated by this guy - WHY?

He loves his dogs NOT you. If he cared about you he would have rehomed his aggressive dogs which yes, would likely KILL your baby.

But this isn't a real question, is it? Brand new account, cowardly posting this anonymously? You're full of crap.

● "Am I being irrational about my husband s dogs?"

Probably. You certainly haven't been thinking ahead!

● "I met my husband 5 years ago. He had 2 pitt bulls that he was absolutely in love with."

There is no such creature. If there were, it would probably by a male bovine (= bull) developed by a Mr Pitt.

The only nation with a kennel club that accepts the pooch you are misnaming is the USA. But the only internationally accepted kennel club there is the AKC, which does NOT accept as a breed anything with the word "pitt" or "pit" in it's name. The ONLY club that accepts the BREED you misnamed is the only-in-the-USA United Kennel Club founded on 10 February 1898 in Michigan by Chauncey Zachariah Bennett so that he could register his “Bennett's Ring” as an American Pit Bull Terrier. The breed name comes from the fact that the foundation of the APBT was Bull Terriers:

www.fci.be/Nomenclature/Standards/011g03-en.pdf (a BREED developed by crossing the early Bulldogs with early Terriers). Unfortunately, especially but not solely in the USA, the most dog aggressive of them were mated together to fight in pits - some for "gentlemen" to bet on how long the APBT would take to kill every rat in the sackful dropped into the pit (rodent killing being the prime function of all true Terrier breeds), others for "gentlemen" to bet on which would survive a fight against some other dog. For novice APBTs the other dog might be such as a Cocker Spaniel or a Collie, usually stolen from its owners a day or so earlier - breeds not developed for FIGHTING. To the bloodthirsty gamblers, the "highlight" would be a fight between 2 experienced APBTs dropped into the pit. Hence the Pit part of the breed name. You can work out the A-word.

The breed was soon split into 2 main versions - (1) fighting dogs with an extreme hatred of anything resembling a dog or a rodent, and (2) the "Nanny dog"s. YOU need to find out which version each of your husband's dogs is - AND how competent or incompetent your spouse is as a dog trainer.

● "As our relationship progressed, I wanted to move out of my parents home and build one with him. Since he had pitt bulls we were unable to rent anywhere due to breed restrictions. He refused to give up the dogs, therefore we haulted moving in until i found a place without breed restrictions. While.he lived on his own in a crappy basement one of the dogs chased a child and pounced on them. I am unclear if the dog bit the child or not,"

DO take notice when Y!A red-lines your typing - as it did each time you put "pitt", "haulted", "rehome". It means that you typed something that is not in Y!A's limited lexicon of Yanklish spellings. YOU then need to check whether your spelling is the right spelling of a word from a foreign language (such as English, French, Spanish), or needs punctuation changed (such as a capital letter or an apostrophe or hyphen), or is one of the many real words that the programmer didn't think to include in the lexicon of the spell-checker.

● "however despite this incident my husband still refused to rehome or give up the dog."

YOU need to find out the FACTS you don't yet know.

#1: What REALLY happened - 2 extreme possibilities are that the dog leapt to lick the child's face, or it mauled the child, using the shaking action that fighting dogs used to tear chunks out of their opponent. There ARE many possibilities in between those extremes.

#2: WHY he prefers the dogs to you - based on the inadequate information you've told us it seems that he DOES.

#3: CAN he PROVE that his dogs are under verbal control - his AND yours - before you have to leave him and get a Court Order for financial support.

● "I am currently 29 weeks pregnant."

Which give you less than 7 weeks to find the FACTS and decide whether to accept his dogs or to leave your husband until such time as he makes up his mind which is more important to him - the 2 dogs, or you and the child.

● "I am not comfortable with the dog being around my baby considering what happened with the other child a few years ago."

But WHAT actually happened?

YOU don't yet know - you haven't been able to TELL us in this post.

You NEED to insist that he tells you the whole story, in detail.

After waiting all these years, you are probably going to have to find THAT child or its parents, so that you can compare their story with your partner's inadequate story.

● "My husband is insisting he can train her to be friendly around our baby."

But he can't PROVE that before the baby is brought home, let alone before it grows up enough to do the stupid things children do.

● "Is it wrong of me to want him to rehome her? Is it me or does he always choose the dogs despite other obligations?"

How can we - who have never met you & your spouse - answer THOSE?

You've told us NOTHING about how the dogs react to you! NOTHING about how the dogs react to other children - pre-schoolers and pre-teens! NOTHING about what things the dogs do versus don't do INSTANTLY when you command, INSTANTLY when your partner commands.

This is the ONLY question you have asked in Y!A - you have not created your OWN avatar, have NOT created an "About Me" telling us your birth year, your nearest city (include the nation or state if more than one city in the world uses that name), the things that interest you.

But that it WORRIES you enough that you have to ask in Y!A proves that you have grave doubts, and that you need to prepare your birth-family to be ready to accommodate you & your baby if you decide that you cannot live with these dogs. Whether the outcome will be a divorce, WE cannot tell. But YOU need to discuss things with your nation's equivalent of the Citizen's Advice Bureau, plus find out the contact details of a suitable lawyer, in case you need to take that path.

Les the aged Kiwi - first pup in 1950; GSD breeder & trainer as of 1968

• Anna E

You are NOT being irrational. One of these dogs has attacked a child, whether it was bitten or not. These dogs are 5 years old or older so if he has not trained them by now, he will not be able to. I personally would request that he at least rehome the one who attacked the child and move out if he refuses.