Dose anyone think that living and driving your car within a mile from the Pacific Ocean can harm your cars engine over a few years?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

No. I lived a few from Bodega Bay, the salt "air" machts nichts.

It is salt from Roads, the Rust Belt of the Midwest where all the corrosion comes from. My Kansas cousins all wanted our '78 El Camino, as it was a California car.

Unless you actually park On the beach and high tide floods it, or, you have an old Vega and or Chevy that had body rot problems from the factory. My '80 has a big hole in the RR quarter panel, and she's an Arizona car.

Source(s): Lived in coastal CA 44 years. Bondo to the Rescue!
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

Nah. Living on the coast means it rains more often...like daily so the car gets washed daily so that keeps the salt off. Don't forget, your engine has a protective coat of oil on it...and that inhibits rust inside.

. And if it does, it does. So what? Cars are replaceable, rebuildable, and are just things.

• F
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Engine should be Ok, might be a good idea to change the air filter more frequently than recommended though. Bodywork will suffer in a wet climate, so not too bad in California but probably a lot worse in Washington.

• ?
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

There are MILLIONS of cars in California, Oregon, Washington and Hawaii that do this every day for YEARS and don't show any negative effects. Driving in Michigan or Wisconsin with heavy salt on the roads during winter can cause a lot more damage.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Wont hurt the engine at all, but the salt air is really hard on the chrome trim if you have any. My oldest brother used to live 2 blocks from Huntington beach pier back in the 60's, and his Buick "Special" became a rusty mess in short order.

• ...Show all comments
    • Trump 2020
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

True. At the time, he was suffering in a terribly unhappy marriage, long hours at the refinery, and just had no time for that beautiful 2dr hardtop Buick. Shameful......

• Anton
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

I have been living in the same house for 48 years, 5,5 miles from the Pacific, with west winds nearly every afternoon to keep the temperatures mild. For over 30 years a 1972 Camaro RS has been parked at the house, outside.

Trust me -- NO PROBLEM.

• arther
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

The rust caused by the salt air will get your car eventually. Keep it in the shed when not driving it easier said than done, wash it with fresh water regularly pressure wash underneath.

• 6 months ago

It won't cause harm to your engine, though it's just possible that salt deposits on your wiring and especially ignition wires can cause misfiring problems. Unlikely, but conceivable.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

No. Salty air can cause increased bodywork corrosion but it doesn't affect the engine at all.

• 6 months ago

Why would it? Driving in the ocean is not so good tho

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.