Fz1 suspension settings?

I have a 13 Yamaha fz1. I'm 5 4 and 130lbs. The seat was a bit high for me so I set both front and rear suspension to it's softest. Is that the best settings for this situation?

Suspension settings have nothing to do with seat height.

You set the preload softer to compensate for your lightweight, so that the sag is approximately 1/3 of available movement. You adjust the rebound to softer (to reduce the speedy return rate). And compression rebound a few clicks out from the sixth click.

Neither will significantly alter the ride height.

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/suspensionadjus...

If you want to adjust the height you can shave the seat and/or change the dogbones on the rear shock.

These do not affect seat height. Adjustment of triple trees,length of rear shock springs, or rear tire profile, Do.

• With a load as I understand, it will affect seat height, as the soft suspension will be able to sag more than a hard suspension with a load on it.

I think you're trolling. I have a FZ1 and at 5"8 can't put both feet flat on the ground, so at 5"4 you certainly can't. Altering the suspension settings won't help you either.

Setting the suspension to its softest will see the bike wollow and weeve. In fact some owners upgrade the rear suspension with the R6 coil spring because the bike is too soft for serious foot to the peg riding.

The problem most vertically-challenged riders have is getting on and off the bike. Butcha don't say that's a problem. You are a lightweight. Softest will give you the best ride. Whatever the suspension settings, the bike should stay level when you get on it. Don't go so soft with the back shock spring that your headlight points up into oncoming traffic's eyes. Point the headlight at a wall and turn it on, then get on the bike. The light spot should go down no more than an inch or two--the same distance as the suspension sag, front and back. This is a level flashlight: -----< This is your properly adjusted motorcycle: -----< If the light spot goes up, the back's too soft. If the spot goes way down, the back's too hard. It's amazing how many badly adjusted bikes there are out there.

• Its not a huge issue getting on and off... I do have to "trade off" on my feet to get the stand up, but not a huge issue to me...one foot down at a stop is all I can manage without uncomfortable tip toeing...

As long as you feel comfortable with it than it's fine but be careful on rutty roads so you don't bottom-out.

Source(s): Riding/racing for 55+ yrs.

Yeah anything involving the rear should be soft. That’s why lube was invented