Landlord expects fresh paint?

So, we are moving out of our townhouse in Hollywood FL, and the landlords agent says she expects us to repaint the entire 1200^2ft property before we leave. Repainting is not mentioned in the lease, it was listed as an "as is" lease with exceptions for the refrigerator, stove/oven, and dishwasher being new, but no mention of repainting. In 35 years of renting homes, townhouses, and apartments in Albuquerque NM, I never had a landlord ask me to repaint... Is there a different expectation in Florida?

Favorite Answer

Unless it's not normal "wear and tear" or required in the lease, no. Go to Florida statutes, chapter 83, part 2. That's Florida's landlord tenant law.

It's in the lease, which you can request at any time. Wear and tear happens, usually a paint job isn't going to be an issue, especially with older buildings.

• Judy

No, you shouldn't be expected to, and don't have to.

Is repainting mentioned in your lease? If not, tell the landlord to take a hike.

Sometimes landlords push their luck banking on their tenants' ignorance.

If it's not in the lease, she can ask all she want and you can decline. You can for example ask her to pay for the first month at your new apartment and I bet she will have no problems saying no to that.

If the walls are dirty then wash them before you move out. You have an obligation to leave the place clean. If the walls aren't clean then the cost of cleaning can be deducted from your deposit.

You have no obligation to paint the walls unless you caused damage beyond reasonable wear & tear.

• Nora6 months agoReport

Thank you, my thought exactly!

"Nothing that can't be washed off with detergent and elbow grease", Did you take photos when you moved in, to show the condition of the Walls? Take photos when you move out, the LL or agent is not required by law in FL to do a walk through with you, most LL do not do a walk through with the tenant.

It may come down to a judge to decided if the walls could be cleaned with a little elbow grease vs. repainting

Be prepared for the LL to ding your security deposit take allot of photos when you leave

• Nora6 months agoReport

The elbow grease and dish detergent will be mine, not theirs. We won't leave the place dirty, and I plan on making a moveout video.

• gerald

have you dirtied it have you been careless this is in the deposit clause , I am not accusing you but its a well known ploy and if you have no proof like pics before and aft Judge Judy will give it to them its capitalism if you were a landlord you could make a few marks and pics there you are Judge Judy ? $5,000 next case please

If you didn't cause damage beyond normal wear and tear, you wouldn't paint.

• Coffee Drinker

As a regular guy with no qualifications but I geek out about this stuff and follow it and make a point to be informed - I "third" this answer if there is such a thing.

• .

Unless that's listed in your lease or you personally caused damage to the interior painted walls, you shouldn't be responsible for that.