What am I supposed to do after child’s father won’t give my child back?( In Illinois)?

I currently have a 7 month old child. I asked her father to take her until I moved into my new home and now he doesn’t want to give her back to me. I have screenshots of texts of him getting mad about me pretty much moving on in a whole bunch of rude ways and saying that’s why he doesn’t want to give her back. He also stated that it’s my fault I can’t have her back because I should have never left his home. We were always having domestic disputes which is why I left. I don’t know what to do I haven’t seen her since the end of May. I called the police after I was in his home and he decided to fight me but he dragged me out the house and locked the door and gate to his back door and the police told me since he signed the birth certificate he had the right to do so.. I don’t know where to begin to get her back I have been to a few lawyers but I can’t afford them

• PAMELA

You do not need a lawyer to go to family court, you state your case and the judge will decide, the clerk at the court can help you.

You have equal rights to the child UNLESS AND UNTIL one of you goes to Court and a Judge makes a different determination.

He has the same right to keep the child that you had to keep the child - or, apparently, hand her off when she was inconvenient.

So go to Court and file a Petition for custody - and child support. Family Court is user friendly.

i would talk to a lawyer about it

He has every right to the child just like you do

You need to go to court and fight for custody

The issue is that you sent the child to live with him and now he wants his kid

I am sure there are many women's rights groups you can contact. Just do a web search.

Both of you should go on Jerry Springer to sort it out.

• Brianna10 months agoReport

Why would I do that I’m being serious