Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 6 months ago

Can you get infection from putting hand in fish tank ?

My husband got my daughter some fishes and I usually don’t feed or clean the fish tank....but my husband told me to feed the fish cause he was going to work late so I fed the fish (usually I put the tips of my finger inside the water) but the water is somewhat dirty and he hasn’t cleaned the fish tank . I forgot I had a little cut on my finger !! It’s one of those cuts where the skin next to your nail is pulling off so I pulled a little peice... As soon as I took my hand out of the water I washed my hands a couple of times but now I’m scared now please don’t judge I just want to know if it’s possible or should I be concerned D:

• Edwena

My husband has a fish pond and cleans it and the filters. At times, he gets in it when the water is only crotch deep to catch a particular prize fish before he pumps out more water. It says it is filthy, but no more filthy than a stock pond. But, he says it is something only he can do because it is too dirty for someone else to do it. And he has never had a problem, even though he has had the cuts, etc. over the years. He does keep the water out of his mouth and takes a super shower afterwards. We have never had a problem.

If your fish tank has diseases in it you deserve the diseases because you gave them to your fish

• Ocimom

Since you cleaned your hands right away, you should be fine. Was it an open cut? I would put antibiotic ointment on it and watch it for a day or two.

yes you can,especially a dirty tank if you have an open wound.really bad infections.its excrement in the water,bottom line it can cause infection.

If that was the case, I'd have died a long long time ago.

So, no, you're being silly.

You and the soap or lotion on your hands are more dangerous to the fish tank than it is to you.

You can, but it is extremely rare.

There is salmonella and e.coli in a fish tank if you get it on your hand rub your eyes put them in your mouth in a cut yes you can get infected

What? surely not. I doubt this and also hope not, but I don't see how you would get an infection form putting your hand in a fish tank because if you got infected by something, then surely the fish would be harmed too. They are the one's in the water. It should just be normal water in the tank. I actually think you'll be fine. Those skin things are quite harmless. It's just showing that you've been biting your nail down. You don't need to be concerned, but the fish tank should be cleaned quite regularly. It shouldn't be dirty.

It's possible. But it's more likely for you to give an infection to the fish (in a home aquarium) than the other way around. Remember, they can't wash off the way you can.

But seriously, as long as you washed your hands thoroughly - particularly your cut - you're almost certainly fine.

No way. I've done that many times.