Laura asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 6 months ago

If a salad dressing is expired but tastes alright, is it okay to use?

Out of curiosity I checked the labels on a couple of salad dressings I've been using lately, and they are both over a year expired - Ken's Olive Oil and Vinegar and Kraft Catalina. Are they still okay to use?

Favorite Answer

the word "expired" doesn't appear though, right? thats because no food is labeled with an 'expiration date" because no food in the US except baby food and baby formula has an expiration date.

ALL others are best if used by.

Olive oil and vinegar dressing would smell rancid and old if it was no longer good to use.

Ditto the Catalina.

Try them and check back in with us tomorrow.

Of course it is not mayonaisse but the oil could go rancid. My thinking is if it tastes okay it is okay. But I couldn't necessarily enjoy it like that. But if they were never opened I think they are better for the aging.

About the only thing with dressings that you have to be concerned about is the oil going rancid. If it does not smell rancid the dressing should be fine. It may not taste as good as it did when you first opened the bottle.

The dates on foods (baby formula is an exception) are not expiration dates but "use by, best by, freshest by" dates. The manufacturer may not guarantee the quality of the product after the date imprinted on the package but as long as it has not spoiled it will not harm you.

• Clive

I do get fed up with saying this - there is no such thing as food expiry dates. The date is always "sell by" or "best before" They're there to protect the store against being sued, not to protect YOU. And dates are always set far too early because of this. So I am a very happy date-ignorer! Food doesn't suddenly go bad on one day.

Just use your common sense. As with any food, does it smell, look or taste bad? If not, go ahead. Especially if you didn't open it until recently. That's how we always managed in the days before dates on food. The actual salad vegetables didn't come with dates on them, did they? Or even if they did because they were packaged, YOU can tell if they're still good or not.

Some food degenerates just with time, other food doesn't so it all depends on how recently you opened it. Oil and vinegar especially won't be a problem. And looking at the ingredients of Kraft Catalina dressing, I can't see a problem with those.

Just out of interest, the ultimate on this is cans, which have been shown to be safe decades later. They were invented to solve a problem in the British Royal Navy - on long voyages, they used to lose more sailors to "off" food than actually died in battle. A Frenchman invented a way of preserving food in glass bottles, but glass breaks so ideally you want something better, and William Donkin came up with cans. Put food in a tinplate can, cook it in the can and then finally seal it, and you have virtually everlasting food that just needs heating up. The navy death rate plummeted after they started stocking up on cans.

I just mention this to point out how much it matters how long ago you opened the bottles of dressing. If you only opened them recently, they will have been protected from bugs and germs until then. And refrigeration is a huge help too.

• God

It's fine. The dates on the bottle don't mean anything.

Throw away the Catalina dressing right now.

I would probably throw the Catalina dressing in the garbage. But the oil and the vinegar would probably keep for a century.

Quit being gross and go buy some new dressings for your salad lol

If they were sealed until recently then they are probably OK. If they have been opened for over a year throw them away.

I ate a tin of peas that was 7 months out if date (truth or dare) and I came out fine, I'm sure salad is fine

• Lv 7

I've got canned goods I've been depending on for decades.