Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 6 months ago

Apartment Inspection - What are my rights?

My apartment complex let me know today that they will be conducting sprinkler head inspections over the next 2 days. The only issue is, I have a dog that is very protective of her home. They gave me a 2 day, 9 hour window when the inspection may happen (during work hours) and there is no room to lock my dog up in that doesn t have a sprinkler head that will be inspected. My dog is not aggressive, but she is large, and is very protective of her home. I told them they do not have my permission to enter, and asked if they could schedule an appointment, but they declined. If they enter and my dog bites them, what are the legal ramifications? Can they take my dog?

Favorite Answer

in about 49 states THEY DO NOT NEED YOUR PERMISSION. you chose to live there with a dog.....you need to deal with it...

yes you are liable if the dog bites them. no they cannot take the dog, they have no legal authority, but you could be issued a cure or quit notice to remove the agressive dog.

find a dog sitter where the dog can spend the day.

make sure your renters insurance is paid up and covers the dog...if it bites, the insurance will pay.

in the one state you can deny permission, you can also be fined for refusing...

• R P

Actually, Ryan, yes your dog would be considered aggressive if it bites someone, regardless that it is inside your home.

First of all, all a landlord has to do in order to enter HIS property is to give you proper notice which in most cases is 24 to 48 hours. He did that. Once notice is given, you CANNOT deny entry.

They have the legal right to enter. You, on the other hand does not have the right to own a dog that bites (under any circumstances). If they don't take your dog, the ones who got bitten by your dog will most likely sue you and WIN.

You may consider boarding your dog at a kennel during the inspection if you can't take off work to be home.

Good luck

Fit the dog with a muzzle for the duration. Buy one that allows him to pant. The wire greyhound type or similar.

It is NOT your home. You are renting - leasing it. There is a WORLD of difference. They have a right to the inspections and a two day, nine hour window is totally reasonable. You are not supposed to be there for the inspection. You would be in their way, just as your dog would be in their way. You need to have your dog OUT of there while they inspect. Take him to a friend's house for a couple of days.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
    • Nuff Sed

If you pay rent to live in an apartment then it is, by definition, your "home". You don't have to own a building in order to call it your home.

Get a crate/carrier to put the dog into it.

• *****

You have the right to make sure your dog is appropriately contained or removed from the property when they enter, and that they can do so safely and execute required maintenance without interference from your dog. They have provided you with appropriate notice. If your dog bites them, you're responsible for damages, your dog will be subject to consequences that come along with a dog bite incident (up to and including possible euthanasia), and you can be evicted.

You have NO RIGHT to DENY them entrance to do LEGALLY REQUIRED maintenance that could save YOUR LIFE or that of other renters. They can either come in anyway or EVICT YOU if you refuse to let them come in.

It is YOUR PROBLEM not theirs -that you have an aggressive dog (that I guess is NOT crate-trained). This would be a PERFECT EXAMPLE of WHY every single adult dog or puppy needs to be TRAINED to accept being crated; even if it is not used - all the time.

YOUR OPTIONS:

1) you need to take vacation time for these two days,

2) ask a friend to dog sit your dog AWAY from the apartment, or

3) you need to BOARD your dog in a boarding kennel, at your vet's office, or in all day, doggie day care.

They DO have permission to enter because they are doing maintenance. They followed the legal obligation of giving you sufficient notice.

CRATE the dog, or have her boarded for those 2 days while you are at work.

And you are liable if the dog bites someone. You were given notice, its on YOU to make arrangements to contain the dog.

No, but you could get evicted. If I were you, I would find a friend to keep your dog with for a couple of days or perhaps arrange to have her boarded if you don't have this luxury. There are kennels and pet motels that can take care of this issue for you and you can visit her if you think she'll be lonely.

• .

Buy a muzzle and put the dog on a short leash. Or wait until they show up and lock the dog in your bedroom.

• .

This kind will allow your dog to drink. https://www.dog-muzzles-store.co.uk/images/dog-muzzles/pitbull-dog-wire-muzzle-super-quality-small.jpg