What kind of base can I use on a pizza instead of tomato paste?

I have had BBQ sauce base but didn't like it much, it was just a sticky gluggy mess.

Is there any other realistic alternative to tomato paste that doesn't taste yukky?

Favorite Answer

I mean I don't know if you'll be into it, but I know some small rural areas of south america essentially make a pizza with a refried bean base because it holds all of the toppings very well and it's a cheap ingredient. You could also make a compote maybe with sweet potatoes if you like a little sweetness in your pizza, or red bell pepper paste which shouldn't be too drastic of a texture or even taste change. If everything fails, you can probably just buy some pizza sauce and mix it with a little tomato paste to make it more fluid and not as concentrated of a tomato flavor.

• Glam Gal4 months agoReport

dude have you had pizza sauce, it's essentially just water and artificial flavoring, so it waters down the tomato sauce extremely and does dull the tomato flavor.

• denise

It depends what you like, Pesto sauce is nice on a chicken based pizza.

Maybe a hummus sauce [sprinkled with dried herbs] on a veggie one.

Alfredo sauce is used a lot on pizzas.

Papa Murphys take and bake pizza has a chicken pizza that has white sauce instead of tomato.

you could also try pesto.

Alfredo sauce. A local place makes taco.pizza using beans as a base.

I understand that if you slightly baked the pizza dough before adding any toppings, then the pizza will stay crispier and less droopy. Also, then you put the cheese on First, then the sauce, then other toppings on the pizza and then finish baking.

Yep, either sauce Alfredo (for white pizza with like chicken) or Marinara (red pasta sauce) is excellent. Don't use too much of either. A little goes a long way.

• Janet

BBQ sauce is not good on pizza.

Pizza sauce is good. Some people use tomato paste or spaghetti sauce.

White sauces are also good, especially if you are putting chicken on your pizza.

You should never make a sauce from tomato paste. Instead, buy only whole canned tomatoes and the usual herbs.

Source(s): Been there. done that.