Should I stay in a hotel before I move to a new town (to see what its like)?

I'm planning on moving next year (or sooner if I really like the college town etc...) But I'm thinking should I stay in a hotel for a long time (like 2 weeks to a month) to get an actual idea of what living there would be like? I've been their quite a few times. But I've never stayed their longer... show more I'm planning on moving next year (or sooner if I really like the college town etc...) But I'm thinking should I stay in a hotel for a long time (like 2 weeks to a month) to get an actual idea of what living there would be like? I've been their quite a few times. But I've never stayed their longer than a week before. Then find I could apartments that are actually safe when its day and night and not just one or the other etc...? It will also be my first time moving out too. (If that matters).