what does brussel sprouts taste like?

How do you cook them?

brussel sprouts are horrible if over cooked, I cooked mine in the microwave and it was nice. Forget how long for but not very long

• edward

In a pot of boiling water, add butter in the water over the tiny cabbages. Wait till you can easily pierce them with a fork. Then they’re done. Melt a little cheese and butter over the bowl and you’ve taken something healthy and made it less healthy and really tasty

I steam them. I put the sprouts in a saucepan and put maybe an inch of water in the pan, sprinkle with a little salt and bring to a boil, then turn down to medium heat. Nice and tender in 15-20 minutes but keep an eye on it so that the water doesn't evaporate or they're going to start to burn.

The flavor is similar to cabbage but more intense.

• patty

brussel sprouts are horrible if over cooked. I cooked mine in the microwave and it was nice. Forget how long for but not very long.

Give them a try, spread on a baking sheet drizzle with olive oil season to taste and take them out when they are starting to brown, yummy. Similar to cabbage, can be strong tasting at times, but it is an acquired taste, we used to sprinkle with vinegar after cooking sometimes also.

• Clive

They're brassicas, related to cabbage, kale and so on, so they taste similar to those, most similar to cabbage. Many people don't like them because of the slightly bitter taste, but varieties have been developed that taste better. So just try some and see what you think.

In fact the top leaves are just like leafy cabbage and my mother used to buy "brussel tops". Have you ever seen a Brussels sprouts plant? It's an odd looking thing - a thick stem with the sprouts spiralling round it, with leaves both at the top and attached to the stem between the sprouts. I know a supermarket where, in season, you can get stems with the sprouts still attached.

The simplest way to cook them is boil for 5-10 minutes, depending on size, in salted water. Or if you get them in a pack with instructions, follow those. Overcooking makes any bitter taste worse, so don't overdo it - they should still be fairly firm, almost crunchy. Some people cut a cross in the bottom of each sprout in the belief that this will help heat penetrate better into the thickest part, but you don't really need to.

• mrh-slos

Local farmers market sells them on stems dring late autumn and early winter. Tops of these plants -sprout tops - are also edible, cooked same way as cabbage.

• John

I cut them in half the long way in saute them in butter and leave some crunch. Brussels sprouts are good and as people have described. Maybe a cross between cabbage and broccoli with a nice crunch. They are renowned for tasting worse the longer they are cooked, so don't do that. Just tender is fine.

• Cammie

Brussels are my favorite veggie ! I have never noticed a bitter flavor.Clean them, cut off the very bottom, the out side leaves and cut in half- very important.I just simply steam them and then love butter , salt and pepper. There are many recipes here that are much more elaborate .Give them a try. Enjoy !

They're basically baby cabbages. If you didn't eat cabbage directly, you've likely had it in egg rolls, sauerkraut, or coleslaw. It's that hearty green texture with a little sweet leafy flavor especially if you get leafier ones.

I broil them halved in a deep glass pan (to hold in some moisture) with butter, bacon, onions, garlic, heavy on the coarse black pepper and salt. Maybe even tomato and shrimp. Just let it go until they are chewable but firm mixing as the leafs char slightly.

• Woodrow3 months agoReport

No, I'm smarter than to be addicted to Trader Joe's. Paying $18.50 for the same pizza that costs $5 anywhere else just because they have purple potatoes and spout stalks in the building to look at like a museum piece which then rots on the shelf b/c noone knows what to do with it sans Instagram.

They’re a cruciferous vegetable with a bitter taste. They can be boiled, steamed, or sautéed, and the latest trend is to halve them, drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, honey, and balsamic vinegar and bake on low heat until tender.

• wind_updoll

Class of vegetables generally within the cabbage family, composed of four leaves, resembling a cross, (crucifera) and being studied bc their properties may have a link to cancer prevention or cure.