If a car is parked halfway out in the road on a suburban residential street and you hit it is it their fault?

Wouldn't this be impeding or obstructing traffic? Say a car is parked in front of a house and halfway out in the street. You hit the car as you go around for whatever reason. Isn't that the parked vehicles fault for impeding traffic and being in the road. I live in Kentucky, USA. I am having a discussion with others. I say it is their fault and another person says it would by my fault because you must keep control of your car and avoid the car.

Update:

What if you are avoiding to hit a dog or another car that will not move out of the way. The car in the street is impeding and obstructing your lane causing a safety issue?

Update 2:

What if a Firetruck tries to go around and hits it because the car is taking up the lane too much?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Your fault, the car was stopped, you hit it end of

• Bill
    Lv 4
    3 months ago

Two issues here,

1 - You hit a parked vehicle so you are at fault. Only if you could prove the parked car was moving and hit you would you not be at fault.

2. Being illegally parked is an issue for the police, not you. It is not your responsibility to punish them for the way they parked.

• Jay P
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Let me guess, you tried to swerve out of the way but the PARKED vehicle kept moving and you couldn't avoid it in time?

Any time you hit anything stationary while driving, you are automatically at fault. You're supposed to be aware of the surroundings and in full control of the vehicle while operating it Even if a vehicle is illegally parked, you cannot hit it.

• 3 months ago

Yes it was stationary and could have been a Person well you drove into it

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 months ago

Think about if someone was standing in the middle of the street. And you hit them, whose fault would it be? I think most laws would state it was the driver's fault. Similarly for the parked car.

• Scott
    Lv 6
    3 months ago

No, it would be your fault for hitting a parked car. They may be subject to a citation for improper parking, but you are the one that hit the parked vehicle. 100% on you.

• 3 months ago

In the case you describe, both parties are negligent. Depending on the location, the driver hitting the stopped car may be more at fault.

• 3 months ago

Partially yours also.

• lj1
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Any time you hit a stationary object, it's your fault. It doesn't matter that the other car was blocking the street.

The people you're talking to are right. It's your responsibility to keep your car under control at all times. If this accident were to really happen, you would be 100% liable.

• 3 months ago

Good grief, if you can't miss a stopped car it's your fault. In a suburb their is no excuse for out driving your line of site.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.