Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 6 months ago

Landlord leaves door unlocked, randoms trespass?

Hi, I live in an apartment which is managed by the landlord. The landlord was cleaning the apartment when they left my door unlocked, a couple days later random people enter and start going thru my stuff. I don t know yet if anything was taken or not. I have video evidence of each event. Is there any legal action I can take?

In the US

Little more background info on the situation. The landlord is a company that own the entire building, they do annual inspections and cleanings of public areas of the apartment (Its an apartment with a shared living room, kitchen between 4 people they assign). They notified my about the areas that were to be cleaned, in which my private room was not included. The door was unlocked when they were vacuuming in order to clean the carpet underneath the door, in which they leave the door unlocked.

On the day of the incident, I called the main office to ask them to lock my door immediately which they said they would. Today I find out that they still haven't locked it, and again I find people (not staff) going thru my stuff.

• G R

First off clarify why was the landlord cleaning your apartment?

• SimplytheFACTS

it was clarified long ago..tenant rents a room.

When you sue someone, the burden of proof is yours. You need concrete proof that 1. the landlord left your door unlocked, and 2 that someone did indeed rummage through your stuff. Without proof you have no case.

• Sisko6 months agoReport

I have proof of the exact time the door was left unlocked, and the multiple occasions of people going thru my stuff on video. Everything has a date and time tag on it.

Tricky one here. Are there any exterior doors to the complex which were locked? Or, does your door open to the outside without any secondary level of protection?

Landlord most likely liable...need to figure out if anything was actually stolen though.

Have you reported the trespassing to the police yet...you have video...and know they weren't part of the cleaning crew...

• Sisko6 months agoReport

We have keys in the form of a chip, in which it opens only doors you have access to. To the building all residents can access, to the main door of the apartment only the people living within, and to the personal rooms only the person renting that room. I am not back yet so nothing has been reported

If you have any actual losses, ie something was stolen; then you can demand recompense for the value of that. If you can't prove anything was taken then you have no loss and thus nothing to ask for in court.

That depends. Are you paying the landlord to clean your apartment or is he doing you a favor, or what are the circumstances that bring him to clean "your" apartment?

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
    • Sisko6 months agoReport

Landlord chooses to do these annual cleanings, I believe its within the companies policy. In which they only notify me in which areas they will be, and the room they unlocked was not included.

1st of all, its not the landlords job to clean your apartment.

where were you for a couple days that it was still unlocked?

okay....so try proving they left it unlocked, and it wasn't you...or the lock wasn't picked by someone else

• SimplytheFACTS

how do you have video from OUTSIDE your room? that is the only way to see it being unlocked and to see that no one picked the lock after.

The landlord is likely liable for any losses due to their negligence, talk to an attorney.