How To Speed Up My Toshiba Satellite Laptop?

I have one of these laptops and I know it s an older laptop. Everything still works good except sometimes there is a lag on internet and opening files thru Word, etc. Is there any way to fix this through the computer without removing any files? I ve fixed what programs open up on start-up, ran a cleaner that I downloaded online, and deleted unwanted files. If there is something that you can buy or do that would be helpful! thanks

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Lv 7
    6 months ago

a computer is never faster than the day you bought it. in fact it only gets slower as the years go by, even if you don't ever use it.

also, as far as internet goes, the only way to speed that up is to call your ISP and pay them for more bandwidth.

if you want to give a speed boost to ANY computer, you can always replace the hard drive with an SSD. they cost a bit more, and are relatively smaller capacity-wise, but offer a marked increase in speed.

however, first you should check which processor (CPU) you have. if you have a Celeron, Turion, Sempron, or Atom CPU, you may as well be saving your money for a new computer. those 4 are THE WORST processors money can buy, and if you want speed, you've failed by buying a computer with them.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Internet speed depends mostly on your ISP. To get faster internet, switch to a faster (but more expensive) plan or switch to a faster ISP.

Word? If you open it ahead of other programs, it will always slow down your computer, even if you exit it already. If you are going to work with Word, do what yo have to with it then save, exit and reboot. If you must have Word and another program open, open that other program first before Word.

• 6 months ago

It would help to know the exact model. Generally speaking, if your PC has 4 GB of RAM, then consider upgrading to 6 or 8 if possible. Also, replacing the hard drive with an SSD will improve overall performance.

Try uninstalling as many programs as possible. OEMs like to include a bunch of useless bloatware programs on computers that do nothing useful other than to take up space and slow things down. This usually includes "utilities", "helper/troubleshooting" programs, "Product Experience" etc.

Additionally, try disabling startup programs. This should help improve load times.

However, without more information I can't help much more than this.

• 6 months ago

Try using a SSD if you want to speed up the loading times.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Older laptops cannot perform better than the recent to newer gen laptops.

• Pete L
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

Older laptops cannot perform better than the recent to newer gen laptops - when running Windows! Switch to MX Linux to get the speed back t normal

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.