Hypothetically, if you randomly ask Americans to show passports to prove citizenship, would everyone be able to?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

We're supposed to believe there are somehow millions of Americans who can't prove citizenship for the purposes of voting, so I'm guessing not.

• 6 months ago

Only if you own one.

• 6 months ago

Ok yip yip yip yip yip

• 6 months ago

i am Justin Bieber I dont know

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

we have birth certificates we have drivers licenses we have state i.ds. passports are mainly for leaving the country who the hell cares if you have one.

• 6 months ago

Most Americans don't have a passport.

• 6 months ago

No. Many Americans don't have passports.

• 6 months ago

A passport is needed for international travel, and since the majority of Americans never travel outside the United States, only a small percentage have a valid passport. But the overwhelming majority of Americans could prove their citizenship, whether via birth certificate, passport, or -- the reason we got those -- the new Driver Licenses that are in compliance with the REAL ID Act.

Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live on the American Riviera and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.
    • ...Show all comments
    • skeptik
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

And incidentally, REAL ID licenses show only status of legal residency, not citizenship.

• 6 months ago

Most people do not carry them around so if you allow them to go home, about half would be able to do it.

• M
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

No it costs 130 dollars for one, why get one if you don't need one.

• ...Show all comments
    • skeptik
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

@ Lisa A - I've never seen anyone carry their birth certificate on their person. And on its own, a state ID doesn't prove citizenship.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.