Averi asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 9 months ago

Do they make extra sharp Parmesan cheese? what sharpness is the standard cheap parmesan used as pizza topping?

Real parmesan is sharp. You have to buy it from a reputable deli.

Aged 36 mos is stronger than aged 24. It's not called sharp or anything, but check the package for aging dates.

Romano cheese is sharper than Parmesan and I buy that instead because I like a sharper flavor.

You can also get Asiago, which is a hard cheese like Parmesan but a sharper flavor.

FYI there isn't much Parmesaon on a pizza. That soft striny stuff is mozzarella, not Parmesan.

You have to get REAL parmesan cheese. Most of the mass produced stuff is crap compared to some real, aged, parmesan. It's so expensive where I live I've only had it one time

Not specifically but Parmigiano Reggiano gets sharper as it ages. 36 month Parmigiano Reggiano is about as sharp as it gets.

No, they don't make extra sharp Parmesan. Genuine Parmesan is not all that sharp in my opinion, although very flavourful. They don't use much, if any, on most pizzas, certainly not on cheap pizza. There are cheaper 'Parmesan' cheeses, but they taste nothing like the real thing.

The powdered parmesan cheese food used as a pizza topping a pizza parlors is stretched with tasteless fillers. It barely has any flavor at all compared with fresh parmesan reggiano.

If you've never had fresh parmesan cheese, you really don't know how it is supposed to taste.

Most grocery stores sell fresh parmesan cheese by the pound, cut in a wedge and wrapped in the cheese or dairy department. Buy a decent brand, get a microblade grater, and have fun. It's quite strong in it's fresh form.

If you have a Trader Joe's in your town, they sell small tubs of fresh grated parmesan reggiano - a very good deal if you use it often.

• Nancy

Parmesan cheese isn't a standard pizza topping in the US. Mozzarella cheese is what's put on pizzas.

Anyway, Parmesan cheese is pretty sharp already (i.e., strong-tasting), which is why so little of it is used, like on top of spaghetti or in a Caesar's salad. I mean, I've never seen anything marked as "sharp" to indicate its any sharper than normal. By the way, that stuff in the green shakers, that's not real Parmesan cheese.