When I try to boot up my other laptop, it's just a black screen with a vertical pixel line a few inches from the far right edge screen.?

It just gets stuck there and nothing happens.Is the motherboard fried or is this a HD issue?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Either the mother is indeed fried or the LCD is broken. Worse, it could be both.

You said "other" laptop. That means you have a working one. Good. Time to throw away the old laptop. Save the hard disk and RAM. You may be able to use them yet.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • David
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Does the computer pass POST? i.e do you get a BIOS splash screen with the manufacturers logo? if not then this would suggest a hardware fault with RAM or motherboard. A Hard drive issue would be unlikley to give this picture - you would normally get an error message of some sort. It could be a screen issue, as VP suggests try an external monitor or TV if it has a PC input

• VP
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Well, if you're wanting to start with the most obvious to the least obvious issue, I'd say you should suspect your video card or LCD screen is dying. If you have a spare standalone monitor, try connecting it to your laptop and see if you can see your video on the 2nd monitor. You may have to put the system into Dual Monitor mode.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.