A collegue at work told me to go f*** myself. I don’t know the guy at all and he said this randomly towards me. Should I report this guy?

On my way out from work I see my manager having a group discussion. He says “bye I hope you have a nice night!” and I reply “thank you so much!” Then a guy that works there that was with that same group who I’ve never spoken to says “Hey Alexa! Go f*** yourself!” What should I do about this??

he is likely talking to amazon alexa

Your manager was there and heard this? Talk to him and see if he said anything to the guy. This was completely inappropriate. If your manager gives you the "boys will be boys, don't make it worse" routine, go over his head. This is the kind of stuff women have been putting up with for a very long time, but things have changed. You won't be fired, and you shouldn't have to be the "bigger person".

OK lets say you report him. Unless someone else backs up your story HR has a problem.

One of you is a problem. But which one?

So the situation is frequently resolved by sacking the less important one. Which might be you.

Equally if "you don't know this guy at all" then how do you know who to report? How did he know your name? Why would he care sufficiently to make any comment at all?

Something does not ring true here.

Finally why should it matter. So someone was rude. So what. It is only words. Nothing else.

If you portray yourself as a weak little wimp who needs someone to protect her then you are unlikely to ever be taken seriously by the company. Is that what you want?

HR is your friend

File a complaint, that's uncalled for.

• Janet

It will serve you FAR better to master your emotions and just let it go.

So what if he said that? Report him and he won't be fired, but NOW you will have made him hate you eve more. Don't make enemies. Be the bigger person and ignore his social dysfunctionality.