Why are gay men feminine?

It’s just a question, please don’t try to answer my question with a question as a rebuttal, or some smart aleck remark. You don’t have to agree with what I am saying it’s my opinion

But basically I’m just wondering why do gay men have to act like females, there is nothing wrong with liking the same gender but a man should masculine no matter his sexual preference. I would assume that’s why most men don’t feel comfortable around gay men because of this femininity. I’m not saying they should act different because of what other people think but why does being gay mean you have to prance around throwing jazz hands (I’m exaggerating) changing the pitch of your voice to resemble a female.

Some of them...

• Sam

So since you know most gay men, you also know that nobody can tell the difference in them and any straight person.

Personally, I know more effeminate straight men than effeminate gay men.

Hey, since you know most gay men, maybe you can introduce me to a few.

I can never have too many friends. I don't care if they are butch or effeminate,

as long as they are happy being themselves.

Source(s): I'm no more effeminate than Brad Pitt or any of the Hemsworth brothers.

You do realize that not all gay men have a feminine flair, right? There are plenty of masculine acting gay men, but you do not notice them as gay men because they are, well, masculine. I know a few straight males who have feminine ways about them. I also know some women that you would never guess in a million years that they are gay.

There are fe-men (feminine men) who are and are not gay and/or bisexual.

• Common Sense

Thanks Sam, you are right about that, I could have worded that better. I do realize gay men are not "acting".

Most do not. Hope that answer fits your 'guidelines'.

Gay men do not "have" to act like females. And I don't think they really do. You see some similarities in the mannerisms of some gay men to those of women, but it is not clear that these are the same or that one is an imitation of the other.

• HMFan

Not all gay men act "feminine." Not all lesbians act "butch" in case you were going to ask that, too.

I don’t think you know that many gay men. I hope you meet more of us. Many gay men are pretty masculine. On the other hand - there are some straight men that are pretty effeminate.

Its just that the effeminate gay men that you might have met before or that you have seen in the media really stand out for you.

Maybe some day you might attend a pride or even go in a gay bar with some friends. (Some straight men do go in gars with their gay friends - they are not there to hook up - just to accompany their friend) Anyway - if you do - look around. I think you’ll be surprised how many of might appear more masculine than you ever realized.

And one more thing - don’t mix up trans with gay. Its a common error for some straight people. The lgbt acronym - g stands for a gay man - someone who is male and is sexually attracted to other men - but the t stand for trans - someone born one gender but who is really mentally and spiritually the opposite gender.

• abcdef

Most gay men aren't feminine - most pass in the heteronormative world as being straight because to be otherwise one is be open to discrimination. I have a friend whom I've known since high school where he was bullied and even physically attacked because he was obviously gay in the way he talked and the way he presented himself generally. I've talked to him about this. He has said "if I could have been different I would have been because who wants to be abused the way I was." He believes and I do too that his mannerisms were inborn. He comes from a large (and loving and accepting family) where he was the second last son - he has 4 older brothers and two older sisters. I do not believe that in his case at least - and there are others as well - that those who act like what some call "flaming queens" have a choice. I know a very successful lawyer who appears "feminine". I do not see how the behavior has done anything but hinder their lives so if they could have become more "masculine" wouldn't they? I do know what you mean by "masculine" and "feminine" behavior, but frankly I think that those labels are erroneous and frankly misogynistic. Well, my opinion but based on some very good personal experience.

All I can answer really is from experiencing gay men I know, who are sometimes camp but often aren't. I imagine it's because they're afraid of loneliness and want to advertise the fact so they can get into relationships or maybe sex.

Hold on there buddy.

You ask a question, I quote.

"Why are gay men feminine?"

If a person has a view on that he is entitled to express it. Equally I again quote you.

"it’s my opinion "

No a question is NOT an opinion.

As for the suggestion you promote in your question.

I am a gay man. I have never behaved as you describe. I have lots of gay friends and while a couple do behave similar to what you describe, no way do the majority. If you used that as a guide you would never realise we are gay. Which I suspect is why you assume all gay people behave like this, you do because you have trained your self to assume only they are gay.

• Sasha Whitefur

An opinion, not based on facts, is invalid!