Why didn't the government just trigger Article 50 after the referendum?

That way the result of the referendum would've been honoured and if things were really as bad outside the EU as remainers claimed, we could just reapply to join in the future.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • In
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I am shocked to hear that there is a world outside of the US, and that it doesn't revolve around us.

• 5 months ago

Shock, pure and simple, they, the government thought that never in a million years would the voters of the UK vote to leave the EU, but they did and since that date we've had nothing but scare story after scare story in the hope that the UK public would on mass change its mind, nope.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

They did it as fast as they realistically could, but as the Prime Minister had resigned there was a short delay whilst the next administration was formed under Mrs May and then they had to await the outcome of a challenge in the Supreme Court by Gina Miller requiring a vote in Parliament to start the process.

An Act (the European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Act 2017) was passed in March 2017 when MPs voted in favour of triggering Article 50. After that the rules for leaving required a two year period to carry out the process. Where the wheel fell off was the deal including the question of the NI border was not acceptable to the DUP (and many others as it legally locks the UK into the EU indefinitely) and that is the thing Boris Johnson is trying to get some traction on at the moment.

• gerald
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

we can just leave and whatever is going to happen will happen we can let the last 10 years continue immigration is falling rapidly we can be Great Britain again and there is no fu**ing excuse when it collapses now the savages are leaving now we will see the truth of these industrial revolutionists perform Johnson the genius is peddling the same unicorn crap we had 3 years ago no border promise to be good capitalists its the same shi* with no fu**ing plan again its incredibly inane , and I love you as much as you love me so whatever you think or saY DITTO

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

They had no plan and still don't after three years, apes

• 5 months ago

Because Cameron instead had some sort of breakdown and quit as PM - great when we needed him to implement the thing he set about in the first place.

Most people would realise that he should have come out with the letter to the EU - it wasn't just going to go away. We'd have been out since 2018 then

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

I wish they done that

I'm sick and tired of brexit. I just want it to be done and dusted

• ...Show all comments
    • Bomber Dayton
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

It's Gina Miller's fault - she has delayed it, but with the likely outcome of hard-Brexit, exactly what she doesn't want in the end - what a pillock!

• Biff
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Because the expectation was the vote would be to stay in the EU and no preparations had been made to trigger Article 50 in the event of a vote to leave. Those preparations took a while.

Reapplying to rejoin the EU would take a several years and EU leaders pissed off by the damage Brexit has done to their countries' economies might veto UK accession. Also, the UK wouldn't have the exemptions it had negotiated. It would have to join the Eurozone for example.

• Bomber Dayton
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

the second part is positive news - we can't rejoin, lol

• 5 months ago

Because we had a government that didn't want to leave the EU and that's why Cameron resigned. That twit never imagined the Brexit vote would win and made no plans for such a contingency. They put Theresa May in charge (remainer) of Brexit negotiations who basically wantef to keep us tied to Europe which was crazy. The EU leaders see Britain as weaklings without resolve but may change their minds now we have a staunch Brexit PM in charge.

• Lôn
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

The remaniac traitors wanted to keep us in against the will of the people, that's why.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.