Will a car battery lose charge if the car has not been properly started in 4 weeks? My car has been sitting for awhile due to repair issues.?

It should be OK try it and see

Not particularly after a week unless you have an already bad battery or you have something that's "leeching" from it i.e. a component that's constantly sucking voltage.

All lead acid batteries self discharge at the rate of 1-2% per day based on outside temps. Hotter = faster discharge. In addition, all cars use some power when sitting. That's why car makers recommend not leaving a car undriven for more than 30 days.

• It's been in he high 80-90s everyday here since the last time I was able to drive it. I'm having it fixed gradually to get it back on the road. Good info about the battery. It's 3 years old, my mechanic guy brought it to get charged. Hoping it works

Capricorn Woman--I assume you are in Australia by your moniker; where it is mid winter? Yes, in this case, it sure can. Or if battery marginal or a small load. If leaving a car over a month, either disconnect batt or put on trickle charger. Or, be ready to jump it when you need start it.

No need to TD. New account, level one. You sure like to repeat questions, too:

https://answers.yahoo.com/activity/questions?show=...

• JetDoc

Depends on the car. Some cars can sit for months without starting and still fire right up while others drain the battery in just a few weeks. If your car is not in running and driving condition, you're probably better off to disconnect the battery or buy a trickle charger that you can plug in to keep the battery fully charged.

• Disconnecting was definitely not something we thought of, very good point. Thank you.

A good battery will keep its charge and the car will start even after 1 month or two (As long as it is not super freezing weather). Two years ago, my car was garaged for 7 weeks during the winter, and it was fine when I got back into town.

The only way a car won't start after only sitting for a month is if you left a light on or the battery is old and needs replacing.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • My mechanic brought it to the local parts store and got it charged. It's been in the 90s here since the last time I was able to drive the car.

• Alex

It could, best to have someone on hand for a jump when you're ready to try starting the engine again. That or perhaps getting a battery charger and letting it top up overnight.

• My mobile mechanic guy took the battery to a local auto parts store and he said they would hook it up to a charger over night. Fingers crossed it will work when he brings it back to me.

• DON W

Yes, it can happen, particularly if the battery is old or the weather is quite cold. You may or may not be able to start the car after a month. If you can't, start by getting a jump. If that starts the car, be sure to run it quite a while to recharge the battery.