What's the point of the 25th Amendment if not to protect against a POTUS who thinks he's the king of the Jews and wants to buy Greenland?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Clive
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

I assume you are referring to Section 4, which provides for the president to be replaced if incapable. The point of it is so the USA can replace a president who has gone gaga. Naturally it leaves it up to the named officers to decide that as it is impossible to prescribe the necessary circumstances in law. Unfortunately, calling yourself the king of the Jews or trying to buy land that is not for sale is not loony enough. Trump just shoots his big mouth off too much.

But you need it there in case of real dementia. Here in the UK, the equivalent is the Regency Acts, We've had regencies in the past in the case of underage kings or insane kings but those were arranged as and when. Americans will remember George III - he eventually went mentally ill in the early 1800s so his son took over as Prince Regent in 1811 and became George IV when he died. OK, but ideally you want a law about what should happen so when in 1936, Edward VIII's abdication led to the heir to the throne being a 10 year old girl, Parliament enacted the Regency Act 1937. (You know who the girl is - she's now Queen Elizabeth II.)

What that does is provide for 3 out of 5 top people (including the 2 top English judges) to declare a regency in case of the monarch becoming incapable. The reason I'm telling you this is the Act requires them to do it on the basis of medical advice. That is a glaring omission from the 25th Amendment. And medical advice would say that Trump is not actually insane.

The other big problem with the 25th Amendment is it requires the VP to agree, and he's not likely to vote his boss out of office.

Just for fun, imagine Elizabeth II dies and Princes Charles and William also have fatal accidents. The next in line is Prince George but he's only 6. He would be King George VII but the Regency Act would immediately kick in because he's not 18 yet, Prince Harry becomes Prince Regent and we would have Almost-Queen Meghan.

• 6 months ago

Useless when half the cabinet is an acting cabinet or people keep being replaced. Even if more than half the cabinet agreed, the president has 21 days to appeal. Pence has k own for 2 years the 25th amendment will not work. Impeachment will not get Trump out of office. I am starting to wonder if my next door neighbor is right and the Apocalypse will happen within 2 years.

• Shilo
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Sections I - III have been used a total of six times.

Regarding Trump, VP Pence is unlikely to invoke Section IV.

• joedlh
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Those statements are pretty harmless even though the ravings of (a) a narcissistic lunatic or (b) "senior moments". Triggering paragraph 4 of the 25th amendment requires a consensus among key parties: "the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide."

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

he doesn't think he is the king of Jews he was repeating what Wayne Root said and the 25th amendment will allow mike pence to become president, mike pence appoints Trump as vice president if something happens to pence then Trump becomes president again.

• ...Show all comments
    • Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

The 25th amendment allows the Vice President to become president if the current president dies or resigns.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.