My parents don’t like my boyfriend at 24?

I’m 24 but still live at home, I have been talking to this guy for a year now and my parents despise him, they found out we had sex a year ago And ever since then they hate him, he doesn’t have the perfect past and has a few kids, he is behind on his child support payments so he has a warrant and my mom is using that against me. She refused to let me see him because she threatens to call rn cops, I keep explaining to him that he needs to take care of those so we can see each other whenever. My dad is understanding and it’s just my mom at this point....I don’t know what I’m supposed to do and don’t think it’s right. At my mom can dictate my line when I’m 24, I would totally understand if I was 14 or something

• ron h

Apparently you're living in their house... This man "has a few kids, he is behind on his child support..." Obviously she's scared to death that YOU will have another of his kids and that you parents will be stuck with you and a kid living with them forever. This man is a dead end street. If that's what you want, move out and hope for the best. But they've raised their kid--they don't want to raise yours.

What does your boyfriend say about all this? Is he willing to change these things up or is he a lazy free loader?

Your mom doesn’t want you ruining your life with a scumbag. You or your boyfriend need to show he’s not a scumbag(if he really isn’t one). She is just seeing the “bad” stuff that is coming along with him and your mom doesn’t want you to make all that your own problem because you’re with him.

She doesn’t want your life being put on hold because you’re with someone like that.

shes your mom, she wants the best for you, talk to her and let her know that everybody makes mistakes but everybody has a second chance to grown and learn. If your dad gave you permission be with your boyfriend, if that makes you happy and joyful do it, its your life, your future and your oportunity to be with that one special person for the rest of your life. If it was me, i usually obey my mom 24/7 and i do everything she wants, but when it becomes about marriage and dating im gonna choose who i want to to. sooner or later your mom will understand your love for him and let it go. Good luck!!

Here lies the problem and it is not with your mother, it is that although you claim to be a mature 24 year old woman, your maturity level lacks a bit of intelligence.

Here you are, "talking" to a guy for a year. He has children, is a deadbeat dad, and has warrants out for his arrest. Now, sweetie, what about those issues do you not see as a problem? Yet, you still want to finagle a way to see him? Umm, why?

What to you actually think he has to offer you? He cannot even take care of himself or his children and you want a relationship with that? What is wrong with you is that you are so stuck on this fantasy of being with him that you cannot see who he really is. A real man takes care of his kids. A real man faces the consequences of a warrant. These are the problems you KNOW of. What about all of the things you do not even have a clue about?

If you want to act like an adult and do whatever you want, then leave mommy and daddy's house and go live an adult lifestyle. I dare you.

And, if you do manage to hook up with this loser boyfriend, do use birth control because if he cannot take care of himself and his other children, how on earth do you think he is going to put you and another kid on his priority list? You will be on the bottom of his list.

There are things happening that you refuse to see and acknowledge. His irresponsibility is eventually going to effect you. I can see it now...you finally meet him again and ooops, he is speeding and gets pulled over. The cop does a check and finds out there is a warrant for his arrest, you are left stranded somewhere and have to call mommy and daddy to come and get you. Then he stays in jail because he has no money for bail. Maybe they will let you visit him there.

• Layne

He is a loser and thinks the world owes him. He is trash to hurt people that way.

This asswipe is a LOSER. I DON'T LIKE HIM EITHER.

When you can't live on your own above the age of 18 you give up some rights enjoyed by other adults. When that changes you can recapture those rights. In the mean time your Mom is doing you a favor by making you realize you deserve to be with some of a higher caliber than a wanted criminal deadbeat Dad, and deep down inside you know she is right.

• Tom

So, he is an unreliable Loser. You know that.

Agree with your parents, but it is none of mine or their beeswax what you do with your life at twenty-four. Must make your own mistakes.

Peace.

Your mother can dictate what goes on in her house. It sounds as if she is trying to protect you from someone who is potentially no good. You are now a grown-up and can leave any time you want to live the life you want.