Jenna asked in PetsDogs · 6 months ago

Should I be concerned?

So when my boyfriend raises his voice or an argument breaks out between us my dogs shake. I try to keep my voice the same always and rub them. Sometimes I’ll try to relocate them to other rooms but they don’t want to leave my side. They’ll just sit right beside me and shake. My boyfriends temper sends to flare and my dogs pick up on this I think. I was with another partner before who was very calm and rarely ever even spoke in a loud voice. Should I be concerned? Do my dogs sense what’s going on? How can I help them feel safe and secure.

What kind of dogs do you have?

• Jojo

Not much you can do about this if the dogs and the b/f live together and your b/f is hot tempered.

The dogs are obviously afraid of the b/f`s behaviour and are looking to you for protection.

So....if you want to solve the problem, you either dump the b/f or move to another place to live with just you and your dogs.

Unless your b/f decides never loses his rag, things are not going to change at all.

If the dogs are ok with him after the shouting stops, then there is not a lot to be concerned about.

Some dogs do just get upset and scared when they sense hostility between their human owners, which is natural, and the same as any child would react.

But if his tempers get physical, then that`s a different matter.

I`d tend to ignore the dogs if possible when arguments break out, as making a fuss of them Could be making them more convinced there IS something to be anxious about.

Jmo.

i would get rid of your boyfriend if hes going to be like that

I am concerned!

I divorced husband #1 over this exact same behavior. He scared my dogs to death with his ranting and raving. I realized that my dogs were smarter than I was, and then I divorced him.

• Jenna6 months agoReport

Good advice! It’s concerning for sure. Just trying to make I wasn’t wrong for questioning it.