Help with an alcoholic dad?

Here is some background information: my mom just recently passed away about a month ago from cancer, my dad was very distraught during the last few months of my mom s (his wife) life. He drank so much that he went to the hospital for low hemoglobin because he wasn t consuming anything except for liquor. My dad has always been a heavy drinker but never have i had to actually deal with his drinking; my mom always has. Since my mom has passed, my sister and i first took his car keys away to prevent him from buying booze. Most recently we ve had to suspend his phone because he was constantly pestering our friends and neighbors to drive him to the store to buy booze. Now he just seems depressed, he complains that he is a prisoner in his own house. Should my sister and i allow him to endanger himself by drinking his life away or should we continue to hide his keys and keep his phone suspended to keep him from drinking? Is life even worth living if youre just basically on house arrest? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

• Jr
    Favorite Answer

You and your sister seem pretty independent, you guys should try to have a word with him. Whether he likes to admit it or not, he’s deeply hurting by your mother passing away. Keeping him on house arrest is only doing him more bad than good. Sure you guys have the right idea by wanting him not to consume alcohol, but he’s still gonna get alcohol one way or another.

Like I said you guys need to have a serious talk with him, he needs to get back up on his own two feet. Let him know that you and your sister are there for him.

Be patient and supportive, I’m sure your father will get through this.

Best wishes to you and your family.

• Trevor6 months agoReport

But he actually wont be getting alcohol now that we suspended his phone and took his car keys. Our neighbors know about whats going on and they wont drive him to places anymore too. We live in a somewhat rural area where it takes a lot of walking to get to other houses, especially for a 68 year old.

Instead of playing hide and seek with his car keys you should try to get him into treatment for both his alcoholism and his dysfunctional grieving.

• Trevor6 months agoReport

We tried getting him into rehab once. He got treated, then relapsed. He refuses to get any help, even a one-on-one psychologist

My advice to you is to talk to the doctor who hospitalized your father recently.

Your Dad is suffering not only from acute Alcoholism but is also grieving for the loss of his partner and the one person who enabled his alcoholism: his wife.

Your Dad really needs hospitalization.

In most states, you cannot commit someone for alcoholism. However the doctor who hospitalized your Dad may have some good ideas about getting him into treatment.

i wouldnt let him drive if hes drinking