Repeated failed attempts at promotion, what s the next step?

So I ve worked at my current blue retail job for nearly 11 years now. Transferred departments once but seems like I m stuck where I m at now. I ve tried four times now for a supervisor/manager role and did not make it. Current situation is I m a car tech in the auto shop, very understaffed though do have two... show more So I ve worked at my current blue retail job for nearly 11 years now. Transferred departments once but seems like I m stuck where I m at now.
I ve tried four times now for a supervisor/manager role and did not make it. Current situation is I m a car tech in the auto shop, very understaffed though do have two trainees. The new scheduling system is bogus so hours are horrendous and coverage suffers. Also have a demonic co-manager.
Recently tried to apply for academy (basically training other associates and supervisors in the local area), as was suggested to me by 3 coworkers. Unfortunately, gotta have some time as a department manager under my belt which I have not been able to land.
I was actually one of two choices for the shop manager at least but lost to a former CSM. Its a little awkward when you know more about your department than your immediate boss, but we are good friends.
I m not sure what to do now. Is it worth trying again? All I hear are different stories why I cant move up, other than the usual "need leadership experience" line.
1 answer 1