Erin asked in PetsFish · 6 months ago

My female betta fish is acting aggressive towards my other female betta?

So I recently bought two female betta fish. (This is not the first time I have done so, a few years ago I had two females in a small bowl together and they were perfectly fine). I have a 3.5 gallon tank with several decorations with hiding places. It has been about a week and I started noticing one of them (Pearl) has been chasing around the other (Ezra). Ezra is smaller than Pearl. She tends to just stay still and not move much, and she enjoys floating at the top of the tank. Pearl likes to move a lot more, and she tends to move from hiding place to hiding place, but she still goes out in the open frequently. But all of a sudden every time she sees Ezra she immediately goes after her and flares her gills and nips at her. Ezra doesn't fight back, she just swims away and hides. After a few days of this I decided to separate them and I put Pearl in a separate bowl for the time being. I understand male bettas can be aggressive, but I thought females were fine with each other. Is there a way I can have them in the same tank without Pearl attacking Ezra?

Female bettas are rarely kept together successfully without stress or, in worse cases, death. I’d recommend either separating the two girls into their own properly maintained habitat, or buying a larger tank and getting a few more girls.

Source(s): I have 32 bettas
  • Ocimom

Male Betta need a minimum of 5 gallons for one fish. Female Bettas do much better in groups of 5 and at least a 20-30 gallon tank. Your tank is far too small for your Betta fish.

You got lucky the first time. Unfortunatly, female bettas are not fine together. female bettas can be quite agressive to other bettas.

When you attempt to keep female bettas together it is call a beta sorority. You need to have at least a ten gallon tank and at least 5 female bettas. And a lot of silk or live plants. in a larger tank, you can keep more then 5 bettas, for possibly better luck. They will form a pecking order. You need to ad all the females the same day. The beta sorority doe not always work!, If you end up with one very aggressive female "like i did" you need to remove her. but then, If you only started with 5 betas, you wont have enough fish to form a pecking order. Them the remaining fish are likely to kill each other. "Like Mine did."

Translation:

I did something wrong and it was ok.

So I did it again; and it wasn't ok.

Note: female bettas do better in a "sorority" of 5 to 7 females in at least 20 to 30 gallons with small un aggressive tankmates. They do not do well in pairs, or in tiny tanks.

All fish are territorial to some extent or aggressive against other fish. The difference is how seriously they take it or whether they can come to an agreement over tank space.

Bettas have different personalities, it seems like you're going to need to upgrade your tank or separate them. 3.5 is tiny, it's not true that they enjoy tiny bowls it's just a sale tactic so people will even buy the fish. A ten gallon is bare minimum for 1 Betta, I guarantee you will see much more activity from your fish in a larger tank and they do need a water heater since they're tropical + a low flow filter. Really low flow since they're not great swimmers. Females CAN live with each other but it doesn't always work much less in a tiny area, they need their own space they're territorial. I've had a few Bettas over the years and it took me years to figure out how to properly care for them. I suggest a 20 gallon tank to house both of them or better yet a 10 gallon separately.

• MintyblueAir

Yes, large tanks are expensive which is why you might want to get a couple ten gallons. They're pretty cheap at Walmart.

maybe you should keep her in a seperate bowl