Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 6 months ago

Atheists: Were you always an Atheist? Or were you a Christian before becoming an Atheist?

My folks tried to raise me as Roman Catholic. But I had a hard time with the Bible as fact. Especially when studying evolution. And then by being asked to believe in a literal garden of Eden with a talking snake.

Source(s): Questioning and reasoning.
  • Megumi

My parents practice Kami no Michi and Buddhism. 99.53% of Japan's people are not Christians. My studies showed that there are many religions, and they conflict. Eventually, I became an atheist,

As a child, I attended a Methodist church with my mother and younger brother, but we weren't heavily into it, and our attendance was irregular and eventually petered out. When I was in about eighth or ninth grade, I became more interested, I felt my faith in Christianity was unshakeable, and I asked my mom for a bible. A few years later, I realized that I no longer believed; it was somewhat devastating at the time. For the next four or five years after that I considered myself agnostic, but I eventually became more comfortable with the idea of being an atheist. Now, almost forty years later, I'm completely confident and happy with it.

• I wasn't born religious or adhering to a religion but I was born into a religion and raised in it.I guess that I was born originally an atheist then became a Muslim before becoming an atheist…

I was raised in a Baptist church , went to a nun-filled Catholic boarding school (long story) where my best friend was a Johovah's Witness. Each thought the other religions had major flaws and held false beliefs. I came to see they were all right.

I am Christian and still a Christian

• Sky

I was raised catholic, which is a denomination of christianity. Around the age of 12 I started thinking for myself and realized none of the religion or the bible made any sense and was full of contradictions. By the age of 15 I was completely atheist and could no longer pretend I believed in it any more. I could go into more details but it's late and I'm tired.

• Paul

Everyone is born ignorant of God. The great majority of people discover Him as they grow older. Some don't.

• Jennifer

Everyone is born ignorant of pretty much everything...you guys would fight if a believer called the sky blue.

• I was raised both Christian and Jewish before I rejected theism due to lack of evidence, then Nidaba appeared to me and forced me to believe.

I’m an atheist who believes in God 😂