How can you tell the voice of God from a voice in your head?

Attachment image

42 Answers

Relevance
  • Wundt
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

IMHO, this is one of the best arguments against religious claims... How can you know the difference between a prophet, the insane, and charlatans?

Throughout history there have been many cases of the insane (Manson) and the charlatan's (Popoff) ability to attract followers who believe they are true prophets. They all use the same language and make similar claims.

There is no acid test that says who is truly divinely inspired and who is not. If you cannot definitively distinguish between the three then how can you ever choose to believe what is said or follow those who say they know the truth.

• ...Show all comments
    • Wundt
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Nope. The world is full of conmen who quote scripture for their own profit. If anything, they are often MORE adept that quoting scripture than those who are honestly faithful. Same with in the insane, they often refer to scripture directly when justifying their actions.

• 6 months ago

They can't, but they are ,made to feel obligated to make such ignorant claims, because they are also taught to protect that god thingie for which they generally pay a weekly or monthly fee.

• You can't.It would actually not be the voice of god(perhaps inaccurately assuming that there is one true absolute and objective god)It would be the voice of an imagined god that you imagined and hallucinated or that somebody else imagined and projected it at you in some kind of a more/less shared hallucination…

• Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

"Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand" (Matthew 3:2, KJV). Even so, come, Lord Jesus! Establish the Kingdom in Jerusalem, and keep the world safe from Democracy!

• 6 months ago

Compare it to what the scripture says! Check his word in the bible. God would never have anyone operate or Act out something that goes against in opposition to his word! The enemy will try many tricks to decive people. Pray for Wisdom and Disernment... The more you study scripture the more you will recognise who's voice is who's..

"Be wise as serpents and innocent as doves"

• ...Show all comments
    • Grace6 months agoReport

James 1:5 New International Version (NIV)
      If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Witnesses of truth from the Holy Ghost, of course.

• 6 months ago

That one made me fall out of my chair dying my God that’s a funny picture anyways when God spoke to people he spoke to the Israelis in thunder in fact in the New Testament in Matthew it was by Thunder that people heard a voice say this is my beloved son at the baptism. So I assume Abraham heard Gods thunder (voice) from the heavens and did so accordingly. This can explain why an angel came and said do not kill the boy but take the ram with its horn in its thickets in its place. So Abraham listened to the angel of God and did so.

Source(s): Psalm 77:18
    • ...Show all comments
    • antonius
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Atheist Republic - "Wow. You have a pretty low threshold for goodness." LOL, but that is caused by a very high threshold for stupidity.

• 6 months ago

God save me and I get a job as a teacher

• He drowned a whole planet which I must assume contained children according to the silly mythology but you think he saved you so that makes him good? Wow. You have a pretty low threshold for goodness.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

*sigh*

For the most part He speaks to us through His Word: The Manufacture’s Handbook.

His little flock know His Voice.

They would never follow another.

• Wow. Egotistical much? You KNOW what god sounds like. LOL.

• 6 months ago

Lily Tomlin said:

"Why is it that when we talk to God we're said to be praying but when God talks to us we're schizophrenic?"

• Paul
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

It can be confusing at the start, but as you develop a relationship with someone, you become accustomed to their voice, and are increasingly unlikely to confuse it with anyone else's voice.

• ...Show all comments
    • antonius
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

I could not post an answer because of that damn gotcha or whatever, so I posted it here: (They can't, but they are ,made to feel obligated to make such ignorant claims, because they are also taught to protect that god thingie for which they generally pay a weekly or monthly fee.)

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.