Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 6 months ago

Old usb copy of Windows 10. Can I upload this to a brand new SSD?

When Windows 10 was first released, I downloaded a copy of the OS from microsoft onto usb. I still have this old usb. Can I successfully install Windows 10 from this old usb version onto a new Solid State Drive?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

You'll still need to purchase a Microsoft license for that copy.

• Dave
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

No reason you shouldn't be able to. It will, however, require a sh!t ton of patches once installed!

• 6 months ago

You could do that and it will simply update itself or you could simply go get an up to date version where it will create a bootable usb drive for you with the latest version available. Either way, you will need a new product key.

• ...Show all comments
    • SBR32277
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Those restrictions may not matter to people but if he was planning to load Windows 10 onto a new build, I didn't want him to be surprised that there were restrictions when he had none on the old pc due to getting the full free version when Microsoft offered it.

• VP
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Bill-M is right. Why use an old copy of Win 10 when the computer you install it on will in a couple of weeks (or sooner) download the latest version of Win 10 via the Windows Update procedure. May as well save some time and use the newest version -- 1903.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

That is no problem, but it still needs to be activated.

• Dave
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Not true, they do not require activation. Win10 will have a couple of limitations, but you can still use it without a key.

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Yes, but why would you want too?? You can get the Current Version of Window 10 (1903) for FREE, buy using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool. Download the tool and it will then download Windows 10 and burn the ISO to a USB and make it bootable.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

You should still be able to yes

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

In theory, yes...............

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.