Can my parents legally get rid of animals I own ?

I’m 18 and I do live at my parents home. I bought a pet but my mum is saying I have to get rid of it or she will. Is this legal? Can I still keep my animal? I paid for it, I am the legal owner of the animal.

If you have the dogs at their house, then yea, they can have them removed from the property. If you want to keep them, you can always move out.

Its her home, so yes she can have the animal removed from HER property.

If your stay in the family home involves a lease and monthly rent and there are no stipulations in that lease that you can't have a pet your parents would have to try to modify that lease in order to force you to either get rid of the animal or vacate your rental. But if you're living there informally and don't have a legal contract they're entitled to control their own home.

• In the UK she is a lodger if she shares kitchen etc facilities and has zero rights.

She cannot, legally once you are an adult, take your property and sell it, give it away, destroy it otherwise deny you possession of it. If she does, you can pursue her in the civil courts, as you would for any other property.

However, once you are an adult, she does not have to provide you with a place to live, and if she does, she can legally impose rules that you must follow, or SHE can use the civil courts to have you removed.

So, YOU decide. You want to keep your animals, move out and provide your own lodging.

Legally you have the right to keep the animal. You just don't have the legal right to keep the animal on your parent's property. So you have a choice to stay living at home with your parents without the pet, or keeping the pet but living elsewhere. It is your choice to make. Choose wisely.

Okay, here is how it will play out if you do not either find another home for your pet:

1. Mom sells your pet.

2. You get all mad and sue mom

3. Mom gives you notice to move out and requests an eviction order from the court if you don't

4. Your case gets heard by a judge. The judge rules, "Yeap, mom did not have the authority to sell the pet. Mom owes what she got for the per when she sold it" You get the small amount she got for the pet and you get to find another place to live without your pet.

So, either move out and take your pet with you or find another home for your pet.

• You are an excluded occupier, no need for an eviction. Mum can just change the locks. Take a look here https://www.gov.uk/rent-room-in-your-home/ending-a-letting

It seems you are the legal owner of the animal, while she is the legal owner of the dwelling. Maybe she can't technically get rid of just the animal, but she could evict YOU, and make you take your things with you.

Of course it's legal. The property belongs to them and the rules of whether animals are allowed are entirely up to them.

If they don't want you to have a pet there, you have a few options:

1. Convince them to change their minds, or make a compromise.

2. Move out and take your pet with you.

3. Continue to live with your parents and find a new home for the pet.

• Eva

Their house, their rules.

What she should say is that you must leave and take the animal with you.