Can I call the police if I get kicked out and locked out of the apartment?

I recently turned 18, and my sister is a very angry person. She comes home in fits of anger and takes it out on me, puts her hands on me and kicks me out of the apartment. The apartment is not hers, she is not on the lease. Two days ago, I was backed into the corner, hit in the face and forced to leave. She then locked me out. I had to find somewhere to charge my phone so I went to an empty school and was left there for around 4 hours (until 3am). When the roommate finally let me in, she was asleep.

If this happens again, can I call the police? I have nowhere else to go.

You call police because she assaulted you. You get her arrested.

You can but you are going to have to have a good reason if you expect them to remove her. If you and your roommate are both on the lease and your sister is an unwelcome and abusive guest, which it sounds like, call the police and tell them that she showed up and attacked you and ask them to get her out of your apartment because she won't leave and she's beating on you. Of course, you will have to file a report that she assaulted you and you will have to obtain a restraining order against her. The police aren't going to help you if you allow her back at some point. They don't play games. You either want this woman out of your life and your apartment or you don't. My advice: Go into your local police station, file an assault report and ask them how to go about getting a restraining order against her and getting her out of "your" apartment. Tell them she showed up, won't leave and beats you up - that she's violent and irrational.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.

So who does the apartment belong to? Does whoever that is give your sister and you permission to be there? That it who you need to talk to about this. I would guess neither of you are on the lease.

The police have nothing to do with it really. Again, you need to speak who whoever rents the apartment and get rules set. Yo are allowed to live there you should hae your own key.

• Judy

I assume you are not on the lease either. The police won't force anyone to let you in.

If you just turned 18, you aren't on the lease either. Thus you have no more right to be there than she does. You can press charges on your sister for assaulting you, but be careful, she might do the same to you and then you will both be locked up. You can call the police to enforce criminal law, but they aren't going to get involved in a matter of civil law, like who has a right to leased property and who doesn't.

Nope...................................

I'd call the police right now and tell them she assaulted you which she did. Let her know now that you aren't putting up with this. If answer to you original question you can call the cops if she assaults you. If she just locks you out you can still call the cops but they probably, in this case, won't do anything more than make her let you back in.

• Eva

Are you on the lease? If not, you don't have much standing as far as the police are concerned. If you live there why don't you have a key? Whose apartment is it?

If you are on the lease, she cant lick you out or lock you out legally.

I knew a girl who wanted he ex boyfriend to leave and he wouldn't. Cops told her she had to go to court to get rid of the guy. That would take months. He left before that but not when she wanted.

The domestic abuse would have sent her to jail but you should have called then.

• DEBS

You by all means can call the police for domestic abuse. Being locked out is secondary to that for sure.