I dropped my laptop and cracked the screen. (I am taking full responsibility for my mistake). Is it possible for it to be fixed?

Long story short: Last night, I dropped my laptop. I won’t get into too much detail but it cracked from the inside. Now the entire top half is cracked. I can still see a little bit of my screen on the bottom half, so it’s possible nothing else was damaged, but I’m still screwed cause I made a dumb choice. I just want to know if it’s possible to have it fixed. I have a 3 year warranty of Apple care + also so I am eligible for repair or replacement. Also. If I need it replaced, is it possible to backup my stuff. This is a laptop I mainly use for school.

Favorite Answer

Your warranty that you got may or may not cover accidental breakage Apple does have a good insurance warranty and the only way to find out is to give them a call at their support number and give them the serial number of the warranty and let them check it out for you it can be fixed they can replace the screen people break screens every day . They do not have to erase the computer to repair the screen. and if you will look on the laptop you will see a place where you can plug in a standard monitor and once you plug in a standard monitor you will be able to see everything on the screen and recover your files to an external hard drive before you send it in

i would take it to a computer place, they might be able to fix it for you

Yeah, screens are easy to get repaired. Normally not too expensive but because its apple... I might be. Dont know if the warranty will cover it. Call and ask them

• Pete L

Cracked screens are routinely replaced every day by computer repair places, you won't lose any of your data.

• P

Unfortunately Apple prefers to swap out entire laptops for warranty service and just scold customers for not backing up their data. They don't operate like a small repair shop would.

Only if you buy another one with a good screen and swap. They don't make extra parts, so you would have to get the exact same model. Even then, there is a chance they switched something during the production and it would be different.

• Kyle

AppleCare+ for Mac extends your coverage to three years from your AppleCare+ purchase date and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a service fee of $99 for screen damage or external enclosure damage, or $299 for other damage, plus applicable tax.1 In addition, you’ll get 24/7 priority access to Apple experts by chat or phone.2

https://www.apple.com/support/products/mac/

it's best to call and ask and see what they can do. including data backup. if they replace it, backing up or transferring the data could be included in the charge. so be sure to ask.