My sponge has red spots on it?

It is my first time having a sponge and i don't know why there are spots on it. I only use it for dishwashing and I squeeze it out and dry it once I am done. The spots never show up right away, only after I leave it for a bit to finish drying. Is it safe to use? Is there a way to remove them without damaging the sponge?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

    wash the sponge in the laundry with your other towels.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • Moya
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

    Throw it away and buy a new sponge

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • 5 months ago

    Its most likely mold starting. It starts red or dark pink and turns black soon after. Get new sponges once they start changing colors.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • 5 months ago

    The red spots MAY be a form of algae. To test this, wash something with the sponge using Comet cleanser (with bleach). The bleach should kill the algae and the red spots should not return.

    OR try soaking the sponge in a cup of water with a CAPful of bleach in it for at least 15 minutes. Too much bleach may damage the sponge so be careful. The red algae typically comes from your water source itself so cleaning your sponge with a bit of bleach from time-to-time will keep the algae under control.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.