I won't be moving into this apartment until next month but the apartment wants me to start utility services now...Is this normal?

I needed to move into a place at the end of the first week of September. This apartment complex indicated that they could not hold the apartment two weeks for me. So they've dated my official move in as yesterday and required a prorated rent amount plus rent for the month of September. This has been paid. An... show more I needed to move into a place at the end of the first week of September. This apartment complex indicated that they could not hold the apartment two weeks for me. So they've dated my official move in as yesterday and required a prorated rent amount plus rent for the month of September. This has been paid.

An email from the apartments asked for an account number with PG&E and I sent her one. I told PG&E that my services won't start until the 7th of September. This landlord is telling me that I must backdate and set the start of services to yesterday the 22 of August. If I am not using any utilities until September, why am I being required to begin and pay for services for August? Trash, sewage and water are split with other tenants using a particular formula. If I'm required to begin those services, I will be paying for those other tenants...?