I won't be moving into this apartment until next month but the apartment wants me to start utility services now...Is this normal?

I needed to move into a place at the end of the first week of September. This apartment complex indicated that they could not hold the apartment two weeks for me. So they've dated my official move in as yesterday and required a prorated rent amount plus rent for the month of September. This has been paid.

An email from the apartments asked for an account number with PG&E and I sent her one. I told PG&E that my services won't start until the 7th of September. This landlord is telling me that I must backdate and set the start of services to yesterday the 22 of August. If I am not using any utilities until September, why am I being required to begin and pay for services for August? Trash, sewage and water are split with other tenants using a particular formula. If I'm required to begin those services, I will be paying for those other tenants...?

Favorite Answer

You have to connect the electric. Otherwise, the fridge will go sour. It must stay cold. Water & sewer & garbage, I'm not sure these are necessary in advance. Ask him the reason for it - after you have had the electric connected or at least scheduled it, and tell him so. Even IF you have to connect those too, you won't have to pay for water, sewer or garbage that you haven't used. But you should have to pay a portion of the electric. The fridge will be maintained cold for your benefit. Remember, it is you who is moving in later than when the place is available.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.

Yes you are typically required to put power in your name as of the start date on the lease. Your legal responsibility to the unit starts the day your lease starts. When you actually move in is irrelevant.

Technically you are now occupying the apartment because they landlord gave you the keys. He is correct, your utilities should start on your official move in date which was YESTERDAY.

• Lolly

You should take over utilities when your lease starts. It does not matter when you move in. You're responsible during the lease term.

Yes, it is. normal. You are renting it now, and you pay for the utilities starting now.

Is this normal ? Perfectly.. You have the apartment from x date. The fact that you decide not to move in til y date means nothing to the utility companies. Presumably you want the gas / electric / water supply maintained ? There is a standing charge that needs paying. do you expect the landlord to pay your bills ? What you need to pay will be minimal

of course....not landlords problem you aren't moving in....utilities need to be on....

are the utilities already on and you just need to switch to your name? why should someone else pay your bill?

if you didn't want to pay from day one, you had the option of looking elsewhere

Whatever the start date of the lease is, that is the day you legally take possession of the apartment. You are responsible for the utilities starting that day, regardless of what day you actually move in.