Will getting a private pilot’s license help me become an Air Force or Air National Guard Pilot?

I’m a senior in college and working on my private pilot’s license. Once I graduate with my bachelor’s and get my pilot’s license, I’m interested in applying for a slot at Air Force OTS, or Air National guard, or reserves.. Will having a pilot’s license give me a competitive edge?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • JetDoc
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

NO! The US Air Force DOES NOT want Private Pilots. In fact, if you want to be an Air Force pilot, it's probably better that you NOT complete your private pilot training. IF the Air Force wants you to fly, they will train you to THEIR standard, and they don't want to waste time correcting your bad habits.

• ...Show all comments
    • Daniel
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

https://www.maxwell.af.mil/News/Display/Article/1947597/csaf-private-pilot-scholarship-program-changing-face-of-us-aviation/fbclid/IwAR0we3EG-PA850RYlNN3i-JcMY28panNVkc_osU3FyWCAVc5j5qJFGczSZg/

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

No both would rather teach you from scratch!

• 6 months ago

They will just have to waste time getting rid of all your bad habits.

• 6 months ago

It helps learning with the civilian flight and aviation rules but not with the military. It will not hurt but it will not be the real deciding factor. Your bachelors degree and grades will make more difference. If you have a degree in Aircraft design with an "A" average you will be far ahead of someone with a degree in English Literature with a "C" average.

• ...Show all comments
    • Daniel
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Yes, test pilots are selected from the best pilots in the Air Force. They also have to have STEM degrees and the program includes a masters.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Indirectly. The time you spend in the air ( experience ) will be of value.

• Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

nope. they prefer blank slates with zero civilian habits to unlearn

• Daniel
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Not true. They ask for civilian flight hours on the application. One ANG site even says it helps.

• 6 months ago

nope, pretty much everyone applying already has a private pilots license

• Daniel
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

It will be taken into consideration (civilian flight hours are part of the application), but it won't be a huge factor. You should have done AFROTC, your chances would have been much better.

UPDATE: I'm sure the thumbs down are from people throwing out the same line of "they don't want your bad habits" despite the fact that they ask for civilian flight hours on the application and at least one ANG unit's website says that it is encouraged.

• 6 months ago

you ever heard the saying that there is the civilian way to shoot, there is the police way to shoot, and there is the army way to shoot? basically what that means is, regarding marksmanship, the army doesnt care what you know or learned before you joined up. they want you to shoot their way.

i picture the air force being the same. you see its not about what you know. people who come into service with prior knowledge on different things tend to also be know it all cowboys. and know it all cowboys tend to be insubordinate, and take unnecessary risks, and put people in danger or get them killed.

so your pilot license? keep that schit to yourself. unless you want your flight instructor to grind on you and abuse you profusely in order to get you out of his flight school.

Source(s): nothing
    • ...Show all comments
    • Daniel
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

https://www.176wg.ang.af.mil/Careers/Flying-Officers/UPT-Application-Information/ just one example.

• 6 months ago

Yes. It would show your dedication and ability to fly. And you give a small edge on the other students.

Why not!!!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.