Is this being condescending or am I being too sensitive?

I asked my manager what time we open and she said "When is the first show time?" And I said 2:00 and she said in a very rude tone "When do you think we open then." And another time I had a problem in the box office and asked her for help and she said "Put...THIRTEEEEN." "Are you watching me so you know how to do this?" I wish this stuff wouldn't get to me, but it does.

I asked my manager what time we open and she said "When is the first show time?" And I said 2:00 and she said in a very rude tone "When do you think we open then?"

Your answer should be "If I knew I would not ask."

You can also tell her if she prefers not to help you with answers just to tell you and you will find someone else to ask. See what happens.

What does this have to do with FISH?

You're a new employee with surely ZERO experience and they are the boss. You think they should be careful how they talk to you? Get over yourself, child.

If you're this fragile in dealing with other people maybe you should just stay home with mommy and daddy? Let me guess - home schooled?

Oh boy, do I disagree with these answers. Your manager needs to go to manager school. She is basically trying to make you feel stupid by talking to you this way. If the first show starts at 2:00, people have to buy the tickets before the show starts, so how would you know what time to open to start selling the tickets? The correct way to answer is: "we open at (insert time)." If you have a problem, the correct response is, "let me show you how to do this" with no attitude. You are learning a new job and you asked her so of course you are watching. Does she think you would ask her and then not watch? I d stick it out for a short while, if it doesn t change, look for another job. Don t be discouraged.

Almost always the "manager" at a place like a movie theater is just a ticket taker who has been there the longest. A real manager has had training.

For the past 10 years or so there has been something in the business world known as creating a non hostile work environment. This means workers can no longer hang naked girly pictures, make unwanted sexual advances, call people names, harass and bully people, drink, smoke, or otherwise create an uncomfortable work environment. In other words people no longer have to put up with your crap. No, she can NOT talk to new trainees however she pleases because she is the ego inflated "manager." No, you are not being "too sensitive" and no you do not have to just stand there and take it. Getting a new job is the easiest thing, or you will have to stand up to her, or do both.

oh to be a snowflake.

Maybe a little, but you need to toughen up.

No, it is not being condescending and you probably are being too sensitive. I see nothing wrong with what your manager said to you. She answered your questions fine and, she wanted to make sure that you were watching her so that you learned how to do it. That's what a manager does - make sure that you are doing what you are supposed to be doing to learn the job. And if she did decide to be condescending to you, so what? She's your manager. She has a right to manage you however she sees fit, and speak to you however she feels is necessary to guide you to do the job properly and learn it, if necessary.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.

I'm sorry about that.

Get over it and stop being such a child.

Too sensitive. But if the first show is 2 wouldn't you open at least 10-15 minutes prior? I mean if movies still sell tickets in person. Lots of people, myself included use sarcasm and its not necessarily mean spirited.