Do you have to be able to run 3 miles to join the Marines?

I’m a young guy and real passionate about joining the USMC and have been since I was in my young teens. Although I’m a very fit and active guy, I don’t think I’m able to run 3 miles yet. I’m able to do the other physical requirements (crunches, push ups, pull ups, etc) but I’m having trouble with the mile running.... show more I’m a young guy and real passionate about joining the USMC and have been since I was in my young teens. Although I’m a very fit and active guy, I don’t think I’m able to run 3 miles yet. I’m able to do the other physical requirements (crunches, push ups, pull ups, etc) but I’m having trouble with the mile running. The most I can do now is probably 1.5 miles. Do they expect fast/sprint running or moderate-paced jogging? Also, should I enroll in the Delayed Entry Program? Will that help prepare me?

What can I do to prepare myself physically for the Marines? I’m very determined to meet the mileage requirements so I can serve. I’d appreciate any advice! Thank you