Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 6 months ago

Why are American men more masculine than British. They seem very tough especially in conservative states like Texas etc?

• Bill

it is all a front of bravado

they all wet them selves when faced with a gun

they all believe that women are just punching bags for male pleasure

If you look at the sociology of it, the UK and USA have very different ideas of what gender roles are and what it means to be masculine or feminine. People in certain areas of the UK definitely value masculinity in similar ways to the United States, but in general it’s considered manly to be strong, rugged, and large in the US. It’s considered more appropriate in the UK to be fashionable and thinner. They value fashion over body type more, from what I’ve seen.

Americans are bigger (as in FATTER) but I can assure you there are many large, aggressive bruisers in the UK too. You are talking about some weird stereotype you've got from the movies.

It's certainly not across all of America, but a lot of it has to do with working blue collar jobs that are physically demanding. It's like working out at the gym everyday. Those types of jobs also require a certain attitude if you don't want to be picked on or made fun of, hence that macho attitude that says "I'm bad".

• 熊冰冰

You realise those jobs exist in the UK, too?

Go drinking round Hartlepool on a Saturday night if you you think Brits aren't tough.

Update: You have evidently never visited Hartlepool "dear".

• Lili

Drinking until you're vomiting into the gutters isn't "tough," dear. I've seen a lot of British men doing that outside of the UK, too, while on holiday. It doesn't impress anyone.

TV and movies aren't always an accurate reflection of who people are and tend to be an exaggerated reality at best. American men and how they are raised vary wildly from family to family, whether they are raised in the city, suburbs, or out side of cities, and is different from state to state. There are generational differences too. Younger men from the current adult generation do not act the way younger men did when I was first married.

What are your factors to determine if a man is masculine? I bet your definition and mine would differ to a degree. I consider a man who works hard, is smart, handy/able to fix things, and provides for his family as masculine. I think that those traits can be found in any country and in many men.

• Teva

Dunno, maybe they're over compensating?

• TB12

Ok,,, two things,,

1) What is the point of this completely asinine question,

and 2) You've never actually been to Texas, have you.

• Because they identify as male

• Lôn

Go to San Francisco...it's full of camp, limp-wristed nancy-boys! Having said that, Brighton is rather like that.

Welsh farmers are as tough as Texans any day!

• 6 months agoReport

Last warning guys. Next comment earns you a short suspension.