Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 6 months ago

I have two dogs, two ferrets, and a cat, should I still free range my rabbit when I'm not home?

I'm planning on adopting a rabbit at a shelter I'm volunteering at in a month or two and I was originally going to free range him or her and naturally, with the excitement of a new family member, I have been researching everything about rabbits. Well I fell on the dark side of the research where I saw cases that people's pets have seriously injured or even killed their rabbit because the rabbit was free ranged and I really dont want that for my rabbit. If I dont free range the rabbit I will keep them in a 6x6 pen in my room and possibly let them free roam if I'm home, if I really cant trust my other pets they'll only free roam in my room. However my pets are pretty good with the ferrets, my cat and my larger dog is straight up scared of them (they run out whenever the ferrets enter the room) and my other dog just follows them around (not in an intimidating way) but I know ferrets are also predators so idk if they'll be the same with a rabbit. I am also moving from this home in a year or two and will be living with another roommate and the only other pets then will be her two cats and my cat.

Favorite Answer

Together? No. But you can free range the rabbit in a room by itself with the door shut.

Rabbits and ferrets should never be together even if supervised. You may have to keep the rabbits away from the ferrets and their cage. My rabbits were very nervous when the ferret cage was in the same room or if I was holding a ferret in the room they were in.

Be careful with the dogs and cats. Some do great with rabbits and others no so much. Its a good sign that your dogs and cats do well with ferrets. A lot of higher prey drive dogs and cats will hurt ferrets too. So if they do well with ferrets hopefully they do well with rabbits but be prepared to keep the rabbit separated from the dogs and cats at all times.

Also keep in mind that some rabbits will attack dogs and cats so just be careful when introducing the animals.

I think u can answer this urself

If you would enjoy potentially coming home to a blood-bath, why not.

Are you REALLY this clueless about ferrets that you think they would be safe with a RABBIT???? They will KILL the rabbit at the first chance given. The rabbit will also be in a CONSTANT state of stress just smelling the ferrets in your home.

I shudder to think how these ferrets are caged and what they're fed, how often you're bathing them if you are this effing clueless.

Source(s): Ferret owner for over 23 years. Served on the board of a ferret shelter. Run a very popular ferret facebook group. Have one of the oldest ferret-based Youtube pages.
    • Anonymous6 months agoReport

And if in any case my bunny seemed constantly stressed I would move out earlier than planned, it's not like I dont got the savings to do so.

In my neck of the woods, you are already over the legal pet limit of three.

Do not expect your rabbit to live long or die a happy death if you allow it to free-range. Also, do not expect the shelter to adopt to you. They adopt rabbits to be house pets, not to be snacks for other animals.

How sad your dog and cat have to live in a situation where they are afraid. Would you want to live with someone you are afraid of?

Don't get any more pets. You sound like a "collector". I wouldn't not want to be one of your pets.

• Anonymous6 months agoReport

I foster dogs so that they dont get killed in shelters and my cat is getting more and more used to the ferrets every day. Also idk where you live but where I am that is not a law. I have a large yard and a house. I also give my multiple animals more love than most people would give their one dog