I have a question about what constitutes a lie...?

Brooklyn and Hunter have been friends for several years and are very close. Brooklyn knows that Hunter has been looking for a roommate and she has the means to be able to move in with him and help him pay rent and utilities. Brooklyn tells Hunter that she ll be getting paid on a certain day and when the day comes for her to get paid, she finds out at the last possible second that her check will be delayed and won t be ready until the following morning. She goes home and tells Hunter and he becomes extremely angry and accuses Brooklyn of lying to him about getting paid. Was she in the wrong to tell him that it was her guaranteed payday? She s never had issues with getting paid from her employer in the past and had no idea that this could become an issue..or is Hunter in the wrong for accusing her of lying to him?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

She did lie to him, in that she told an untrue thing--she did not get the paycheck on that day. However, it was not an intentional or malicious lie, as she had no control over the receipt of the check. Basically, she was wrong, in that she didn't modify the promise of money with, "If all goes as planned, I'll get the money on that date."

• Jay P
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Knowingly stating something not true.

In the example provided, there was an UNFORESEEN delay. Since it was not known ahead of time, it's not a lie.

• 3 months ago

Too much info, and use names that are clearly male and female. Life happens. A delayed check is no cause for name calling. B should not have moved in with H. {H is wrong. He will be sleeping on the couch.}

Source(s): I am a parent.
    • Titan3 months agoReport

But isn't it more titillating to pair male and female characters?

• 3 months ago

It wasn't a lie because she thought it was true.

It was just unforeseen circumstances and he shouldn't act angry

He's acting like a pimp.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 months ago

Obviously not lying, things happen. That's like telling someone you will meet them at 6pm for dinner and then you don't show up because someone crashed into you. Is it a lie? Of course not. Saying you'll meet them at 6pm with no intent of ever going is a lie.

• 3 months ago

that couldve actually happened, it dont mean she lied

• odd
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

A lie is a deliberate false statement meant to deceive: denial of something you did, or saying you did something you did not do.

• 3 months ago

Simple as the definition in any dictionary:

1 : to make an untrue statement with intent to deceive

Elements:

1. Untrue

2. Intent

• 3 months ago

Like if i tell you that your wife is beautiful two things would constitute a lie and i'll bullet point 2

1- You're not married and a virgin

2- You have no potential to get a beautiful woman.

• 3 months ago

I think Hunter was wrong to call her a liar. Stuff happens and things don't always go as planned.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.