If the earth spun away from the sun or the sun was blotted out?

could we survive on the energy and heat from the earth's core? I'm not saying it would be a great survival, but could it be done?

And for the record, this is hypothetical. So don't just say "the sun can't be blotted out." or "this is just fiction." (I'm looking at you Nyx)

Favorite Answer

maybe 1 millionth of the present population, in sealed environments with nuclear power and artificial sun lights for plant growth.

The heat flux from the Earth's interior is about a tenth of a Watt per square metre. Compare this to the sun's input to Earth's surface which is about 700 Watts per square metre.

I think you have your answer.

Probably not. Some of the other planets in our own solar system are much like earth in terms of having a molten core, and are still often too cold to support life.

if earth changes orbit, life would survive in isolated pockets, mostly underground. most of earths surface would be re-arranged wiping out life on surface. as earth finds new orbit, life would start again on surface. if Sun is plotted out, enough surface life would survive until sun shines where it use to, allowing people to rebuild life to where people are given a chance to practice what they learnt in school.

Pure fantasy, I will try to make it sound logical for you.

Imagine if you will, living at the pole in Antarctica in winter and a deep cold wave coming.

That would be just the start.

Humans could survive underground a good while, maybe even genetically morph to adapt to subterranean life.

We would be like worms deep enough the geothermal energy would be survivable, but in great time, the earth would loose too much heat energy to support life.

The sun actually does little to heating the earths core, that will be around a long time to come.

• Tiana6 months agoReport

Good answer. I should have waited a few minutes before choosing BA.

• Jon

I suppose we could use geothermal energy to maintain small habitable environments, if that's what you mean.