Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 6 months ago

Do you have to know how to swim in order to join the Marines?

I’m a young guy and I’m joining the Marines in a few months. Although I’m very fit and physically active, I honestly don’t know how to swim. Is this a requirement in order to enlist in the Marines and pass the medical/fitness tests? If so, should I take some lessons? I know during boot camp you have to dive into the water but not sure how that works. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you!

Favorite Answer
  • RICK

To join no

But you do need to know how to graduate boot camp

No! But you must be an idiot if you don’t know how to swim.

Yes. There are three levels of qual. You will swim in camo and boots.

welllllll, back in the good ol WW2 days.........Navy ships were often attacked and sunk and those on board , sailors and Marines alike, better knew how to swim. Or at least tread water.

But not a lot of that sort of thing goes on these days........but ya never know when WW3 might break out....... and that sort of thing might become common again.

Of course, with better weapons these days too...........ships would probably stand little chance and sink a lot faster........if ships are even used at all.

Although the Marines are a branch of the Navy, Marines are consigned to land combat only and are unlikely to encounter situations where swimming is possible, especially not when we've been fighting in desert for the past two decades. Unless you're going to be swimming in sand, there is no swimming involved.

Source(s): ROTC Cadet.

The clue is in the name. Marine means water, so there is a good chance you are going to be in it.

Take swimming lessons.

Well, yeah. There's always a chance that you're going to end up in the water.