Can a mother divorce her husband and marry someone then have that person adopt a child even though she doesn't have custody?

my mother and father split when I was a baby. my father had custody of us 3 children because he could support us and was a military veteran. she was unemployed and couldn't support us. my mother married someone and that person adopted us three children, my question is, is the adoption legit? I've had his... show more my mother and father split when I was a baby. my father had custody of us 3 children because he could support us and was a military veteran. she was unemployed and couldn't support us. my mother married someone and that person adopted us three children, my question is, is the adoption legit? I've had his last name all my life and now I'm not sure if he is technically my step dad anymore because my mom and my stepdad split as well. any help would be awesome